Sinister: this is not the list for senseless slagging

Mark Casarotto biondino at xxx.com
Sat Oct 10 05:09:22 BST 1998

duke of harringay wrote:

> or maybe it is, i dunno, but in honey's absence, can i just remind
> everyone that this IS meant to be a place of love and magic and wonder,
> and oooh, all those things.
>
> it seems to me that people have forgotten something recently, and that
> is, well, just how listening to Belle & Sebastian can make you FEEl. Go
> on, dig out that record, that Cd, that EP, that tape, and listen and
> remember... the MAGIC of it all, the sheer inescapable delirium of Pop.
> then you might realise that being a stupid twat and boring everyone else
> on the list with your xenophobic rants and raves and/or your assumptions
> on jokery or not is just, oooh, not really very welcome at all very
> much.
>
> one public response to another obvious public moment of idiocy is fine,
> but it doesn't have to become an ongoing list debate. you want to argue
> about whether kenny was joking or not, and whether that joke was funny,
> and if so or not, why or why not, then, erm, take it private.
>
> seems to me anyway that this list gives us a chance to disprove ALL that
> nationalist stereotype bollocks and that in the main, it does just that.
> you can't force someone to learn, after all, only encourage them.

Indeed he did. And was spot on.

But...I almost wrote a reply to the Duke's earlier posting, in which he said he only bothered reading the posts
of the old guard. To which I wanted to tell him to stop being ridiculous. More people naturally = more duff
posts. But then you miss out on such gems as Archel, Corpora Arenacea and, yes, the two-headed beast they call
Kenny, whose blunt and occasionally misguided sense of humour is just what the list needs when it gets a little
too smug for its own good. And Seb's renaissance, beautiful to behold, is almost a new thing in itself, and I
bet you I know who'd head a list crush list if we were polled today...

But yeah, can we get back to enjoying ourselves now? I, for one, hope another 1,000 people join us, and if
every one of them posts one duff comment, hell, go for it, cos we might just meet someone worth knowing - it's
the new voices that keep the list alive and worth bothering with. None of us are perfect enough to blindly slag
someone who Gets It Wrong, so for fuck's sake live and let live, or go private if it's really getting to you.

So there you go. Pompous, ill-informed preaching over. Sleep tight,
Markx