Sinister: I have no retort

Paul Field paul.field at xxx.com
Mon Oct 12 14:16:41 BST 1998

John Johntson wrote:

Mr. Paul Field - have you no shame!
>does anyone else out there fancy someone
>on an record sleeve? How about literary characters? Mine's Verity
>from Ian Banks' 'The Crow Road'

You fell for his trap!! We're meant to fancy Verity "the upwardly nubile
scionette of the house of Walker" because she's the epitome of the "new
tall elegant rich kid", being tall and rich and elegant. But she's got
no substance.

Unfortunately, I cannot really argue with you with any conviction John. I
haven't read the said book for about 4/5 years and consequently my memory
may betray me. All I know is that Verity has been etched into my memory as
being sexy, sweet and genuine. I also have somewhat vague memories Miss
Ashley Watt, and I confess that much of what you said about her is true -
but you failed to mention my most prominent memory of her, that she's a
bitch! Anyway, how can anybody fancy a girl with a name that's so similar
to 'Ashley Ward'???

John, please feel free to tell me that I'm talking utter drivel (I'm sure
that you will), but you won't destroy my memories.

Stay safe & keep the faith,

Paul.