Sinister: Eartha Kitt Widdles in Bus Shelters

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Mon Oct 12 14:38:33 BST 1998

Due to popular demand, I have started reading messages from Kenny. Look what
I found!

>While every one is praising Northern Soul, there are some mighty fine
>motown and Philly compilations going cheap at the evil big record stores.

I saw a Music Club Philly compilation the other day, big value package as
usual, but it contains Teddy Pendergrass. Who is he, and what is he to me?
Do I like him, or is a he a bastard like some people are? I think it was
Teddy Pendergrass anyway.

Paul Field signed as:

A totally brainless freak with a
moustache and zip-up pockets.

I should point out that I'm very much in favour of totally brainless freaks.
The zip-up pockets are so their keys don't fall out when they're spinning on
their heads in a cloud of talcum powder. There's a good picture of a
Northern Soul fan on the cover of Kent's Magic Touch, and the people sitting
behind seem to have little contact with the outside world. I approve
wholeheartedly, even if they are freaks. It's better than being addicted to
fruit machines. I like fruit machine addicts too. Eartha Kitt's got two
tracks on that one. Don't know if they're any good, but the 13 quid price
tag suggests they bloody well ought to be. The moustache is for brushing up
all the talcum powder when they've finished, of course. People without
moustaches have to borrow Dougal from the Magic Roundabout, otherwise the
bouncers'll thump them.

My comments about Turkey's victory over Germany the other day were in no way
intended to refer to anything other than football. I know there are lots of
Turks in Germany, but that's not why I mentioned it. I just feel that it
backs up my theory that this could be Turkey's year as far as football is
concerned. Let's face it, it's got to be this year or next, because I don't
suppose they'll do to well in the proposed European Super League. It's all
down to the knock-on effect of the presence of my chubby hero, John Toshack.
That's my theory anyway. I know it's got nothing to do with Belle and
Sebastian, but I have to tell somebody in case I'm right. I was spot-on with
the World Cup.

I got an e-mail from Stuart David once. He called me an "old menace", which
I wasn't really expecting. He was quite polite though, apart from that. I
was going to order a Looper t-shirt, but I chickened out because I haven't
heard the record yet, and for all I know it might be the indie equivalent of
Teddy Pendergrass. I have read the first four chapters of his book though.
It's okay, not enough swearing though. Newcomers might like to read it
anyway. It's up the treehouse.

It's bank holiday here, and it's pissing it down, so I think we might be
going to the pictures. Just thought I'd warn you.

Peter