Sinister: The Monday Poem - "a poem for monday"

Joss Moorkens JMoorkens at xxx.ie
Mon Oct 12 15:45:58 BST 1998

Good day to you all.

I'm not sure whether I'm the appropriate person for this monday poem
business, since I'm not particularly literate or familiar with the
idiom. It is some years since I was in school, y'see. However, since I
appear to be 'it' for today, I shall give you 2 poems by Don Van Vliet
alias Captain Beefheart. I like them because they have a similar sense
of mischief as his marvellous music and make me smile. I have a cd of
him reading them which is unlistenable because he's suffering from some
debilitating illness and clearly finds speaking quite difficult. I'd
rather imagine him reading them out in his booming 5 octave glory,
waving his arms around like a madman. Righty-ho.

The Tired Plain

The bra was white and yellow elastic
and held to foam cones
the corners triangular shaped
pyramid
three edges made one point
starfish and embry boards
triple D cupped and poked to a point
the main character was composed into a bow
that broke first in the front
and equal on adjacent sides

American Cowboy was approaching on a collision course
-his hands groped outstretched three digits triangular
to the front nail a line was drawn from the middle
finger to the knuckle of the index finger across
the middle finger onto the third-
creating a perfect arrow
with an imaginary point

Skeleton Makes Good

There's so many things
to feel and see while you're awake
they're just out of reach
out of grasp
out of reach
and just as many, maybe more
the minute that you sleep
so I got to throw my preach
skeleton breath
scorpion blush
I have a crush on your skeleton
watch out unsuspecting stranger
you'll fall off the log
headfirst into dreams
end up screaming
this will comb the wolf
and that will comb the fog
what will peen the rain
what will preen the hog
oh you mean earth
and hell over you
and laugh at your tyre tracks
if you get up
skeleton makes good.

All shy now.
I choose .....(waves mouse randomly).... Miss Erin.
If she's about.

Sheepish hug,
joss