Sinister: julie christie, the rumors are true

**Megan Lehar** mkl206 at xxx.edu
Mon Oct 12 20:53:33 BST 1998

At 12:16 PM 10/12/98, Tara Widmer wrote:
><<Courtenay turns up again in a similar film of that time,"Billy Liar">>
>I think Yo La Tengo wrote a song about him? Anyway, this film, along with

actually, the song is called "tom courtenay".  i'm not entirely sure that
it's about billy liar, it probably isn't per se.  it seems to be about
julie christie's either on or off-screen relationship with tom, not sure
whether there was an offscreen one.  i know little about the behind the
scenes stuff.  there's a beautiful version sung by georgia that *someone*
recently taped for me, and it's become one of my favorite songs of late.
and when georgia sings, the lyrics are even decipherable!!!

i don't really have a lot to say right now.  i'm doing a lot of filming for
classes, and that seems to be ruling my life.  my first one was based on an
idea from photo jenny, though i'm not sure that anyone who knew the song
would be able to recognize it from that.  ;)  last year i was walking home
from class one day and i got the idea to film something having to do with
lonliness of the middle distance runner.  i wanted to use it as a
soundtrack for a film, as it'd be much easier than doing sync sound.  do
you all have any idea how hard it is to sync sound up to lip movement?  i
get the feeling my films just will feature ventriloquists.

on a related note, that isn't at all related, i love the tindersticks.  i
finally bought the first cd and the new b-sides collection in the past
couple weeks and they're wonderful.  it's like waltz music.  well, to me.
i seem to be the only one to get that impression, but it sounds like the
music to a sort of modernist musical.  i'm trying not to mix up my -ists.
sorry if i sound pretentious, but i'm a college student, so i think a
degree is taken care of in the tuition.

xox
megan

mkl206 at is8.nyu.edu