Sinister: The State to come all over

Jessica Gockley jgockley at xxx.edu
Mon Oct 12 21:22:16 BST 1998

Nick Dastoor said in response to my little request:
>Which I made this young boy sigh.  Jessica sounds not just lonely, but
>also lovely.  If no one over in America can help out, I will.  As long
>as she doesn't mind that I've taped over the intro to 'Loneliness of
>the middle distance runner' in a horribly backfired attempt to make a
>back-up copy.

What a sweet thing to say! You're making me blush. But Miss Erin has come
through again and volunteered to make a tape for me. Mad props to all the
non-Americans who also offered, in spite of daunting overseas postage
rates. (Or maybe overseas postage is only daunting to poor college students
who spend their last bit of cash on a Belle & Sebastian ticket and a pack
of cloves?)

I have been taping Tigermilk like mad, and you know what? It makes me feel
all warm and fuzzy inside to know that other people will get a chance to
hear these songs for the first time because of me. I was giddy for days
after i first heard Tigermilk and the BBC sessions. I don't think there are
too many other bands that make me tremble with excitement the way B&S do. I
don't know, maybe if somebody sent me a tape of rare, unreleased Red House
Painters or Sunny Day Real Estate songs i'd get unhealthily cheery too, but
i'm really not sure. What is it about this band?

(That was a rhetorical question. I could list lots of things about 'what it
is about this band,' but i don't feel like it.)

Jess

"You're always looking for a sign, but boy you blow it every time.
You hear a voice begin to speak; you ignore it and go softly to sleep"
- Belle & Sebastian

Jessica Gockley | Box 326 Eastern College | 1300 Eagle Road |
St Davids, PA 19087 | 610-225-5403