Sinister: O Lucky Man!

poetryplace2 poetryplace2 at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 13 13:48:35 BST 1998

YINGLUCK

I was gone but now I'm back.

I've actually been working double shifts at work, in order to repay the
gambling debts incurred during Oooon's visit a while ago. She's a demon at
that Boggle, I'm telling you. I still owe her all my wages until easter and
the liver of my first-born son.

First things first:

THE LONELINESS OF THE LONG-DISTANCE PHONE CALL

This Friday (16th October) sees an extra-special episode of the Social at
the Poetry Caff, because we have managed to get top antipodean popsters The
Lucksmiths to play, fresh from supporting B&S in Europe. For those of you
who haven't yet had the pleasure to hear them, they are a fabulous,
shimmering pop confection, full of smiles and similes, subtleties and
subtitles. They are the loveliest thing I have heard all year. To state the
bleeding obvious, if you drew a line between The Go-Betweens and Belle &
Sebastian, The Lucksmiths would be dancing around on it, without a safety
net, carrying a funny-looking umbrella. To miss this show you would have to
be a damned bloody fool with the aesthetic sensibilities of a packhorse.
IMHO, of course.
Doors open 7.30. Entry £3. The Poetry Cafe, 22 Betterton St, Covent Garden,
London WC2.

BASHO STREET KIDS

Thankyou to everyone who entered my fabulous haiku competition. After much
deliberation I have decided upon three winners, who each receive a goody
bag of stuff from my sack of books.

The first winner is the ineffably lovely Miss Erin who charmed me with this
entry:

Why does Isobel
wear vile capri pants?  To hide
blue veins, blue, blue veins

The second winner is the mysterious Jennifer Phillips-Bacher:

love tools abound here
simple souls introduced to
my english cock cage

The third winner is Mr John Johnston for this effort:

Mr Sparkly Orange
Loves things Scandinavian
Hates us being twee.

And finally, for sheer persistence, we have a special prize for Adrian
Evans, who sent me about 20 entries...

If all the winners send me their postal addresses, I will turn up naked on
their doorsteps. Only joking! I will send you your prizes.

FOR THE LOVES OF CHEESES

I read with interest the debate about Scandinavian cheese. While I have no
reason to doubt McTaggart's recommendations, I would like to warn you away
from Norwegian Brown Cheese, which has a consistency midway between peanut
butter and putty.

A MAN COULD LOSE HIMSELF IN LONDON! LOSE HIMSELF!

Megan was going on about some song about Julie Christie. There are a couple
of others: firstly it is widely thought that the "Terry and Julie" in
Waterloo Sunset are Terence Stamp and Julie Christie, who were starring in
some Polanski version of Thomas Hardy at the time. Secondly, Stephen
Duffy's song "Julie Christie", despite being recorded by an ex-member of
Duran Duran, is a thing of loveliness.

thankyou for having me

Trousers
xxxx