Sinister: A Message from the Dairy Council

JonnyKat at xxx.com JonnyKat at xxx.com
Wed Oct 14 03:23:45 BST 1998

Greetings to the Sinister 700.
My, how you've grown!   : )

I have been so busy lately writing and answering private e-mails that I have
had almost no time to post!  However, the recent cheese thread has moved me to
share my favorite fromage with my fine friends from around the globe.

The cheese is, in a word, Morbier.

As our French listees will know, Morbier is a semisoft cow's milk cheese from
Franche-Comte. It has a creamy brown crust, and the interior has two layers of
cheese separated by a thin, flavorless layer of vegetable ash. The morning
milking is on the bottom, while the results of the evening milking reside
happily on top.  There is a subtle difference between the two layers, but you
really have to be "in  the zone" to detect it.  Sometimes a bit of Turkish
hashish will sharpen the senses.

I find that this cheese, after sitting out all day, really begins to show its
true character when accompanied by an inexpensive Burgundy.  Morbier's nutty
flavor, combined with its aroma of fresh hay, is perfectly complemented by the
earthiness and raspberry qualities so typical in a young, impetuous Burgundy.
; )

Add a crusty loaf of golden raisin-fennel bread, a wool blanket, and a list
crush -- and you have the perfect autumn picnic.

Gone Completely Mad,
Jonny
xxxooo

p.s. billy, how about sunday?