Sinister: B&S get drunk or something

Someone Someone at xxx.com
Fri Oct 16 01:19:11 BST 1998

I also went to the Munich gig and I agree with Geoffrey and Pete; it was
quite disappointing.  The venue itself was terrible.  The stage was so low
and the Germans are so tall that you'd be glad if you could see more than
one of the many band members.  Besides, there were these two big pillars
right in front of each side of the stage which blocked the view even more.
But it was mainly the band's fault.  The feeling you got during most of the
songs was that the band just didn't want to be there but had to.  Stuart M
(whose hair clearly indicated he had just waken up) said they had just
arrived by bus and apologised for not seeing the opening act, so maybe they
were tired, I don't know.  But I don't think they were drunk from the
Oktoberfest.  From their tour schedule I would guess they only had a few
cold ones on the following day (Oct 4th).

I took 3 friends along (2 of them knew B&S and 1 had never heard them
before) and they all liked the Lucksmiths (the opening band) much better.
Speaking of which, are there any Aussies from the list who could reccomend
other Lucksmiths albums other than "A Good Kind of Nervous"?  Two of my
friends bought this CD (which sold out really fast) and it's really really
good, a bit like a sweeter and happier early Violent Femmes.  It was funny
to see them onstage, the singer had this constant smile throughout all the
songs, which made him look like someone you'd trust enough to leave your
cat with while you went on holidays (if you love your cat, that is).  I
searched their website and found this email from a fan thanking the band
for cleaning up his house after they slept over there after one gig. :-D

Anyway, back to B&S's performance in Munich, here's the set list:
i know where the summer goes
the state i am in
she’s losing it
paper boat
the rollercoaster ride
lazy line painter jane
chickfactor
ease your feet
simple things
a century of elvis
photo jenny
loneliness of a middle distance runner
seeing other people
dirty dream number two

I had never heard "where the summer goes" and liked it quite a lot.  The
same with "paper boat", which was sung by Stuart David.  "The word out on
the street is" StuD and Karn are buying a new house and need some money, so
he wrote this mellow cheesy pop tune for the next ep (when is it coming
out, by the way?).  I found that lovely, and hope some more members need
money as well.

Love y'all,

Andre.

happy for a day - some belle and sebastian thoughts
<http://welcome.to/happy4>
contact us at:
<mailto:lalala at altavista.net>