Sinister: French singers

Warrander John - FML WarranderJ at xxx.uk
Mon Oct 19 14:21:31 BST 1998

Afternoon All,

Someone who's supposed to be a frenchy wrote:

>As I am supposed to be a frenchy, I'd like to know who are these french
>singers that you like *so* much (except France Gall and Francoise
Hardy).
>Any answer will be examined carefully.

Someone made me a tape with over 40 French (presumably) one-hit
wonders from the 60s. Every song is great and I was going to rattle
off the list of artists here. Just to show how knowledgeable and super
cool and into obscure pop I am. But erm, that would be pathetic, so I
won't. Maybe some nice French people on the list could recommend
some cool 60s French pop for us though. That may be nice.

Peter Miller wanted more smut.

Well I went shopping with McTaggart for pyjamas at the weekend.
It was more of a smut/sad old gits crossover scenario. But I did feel
kind of 'dirty' afterwards. We also make a rather unnecessary detour
through the ladies underwear section. Tag made some hilarious jokes
about how if he was invisible he could sneak into the changing rooms
and get up to all sorts of naughty mischief. I laughed and laughed he
was so funny. He even said "jugs". Several times! Jugs. And Elisapet.

Miller also requested "ink polaroids...of...McRagtag's triumphant
re-entry unto DJ Land"

Sadly nobody from Sinister turned up. Or if they did, they kept
themselves to themselves. Even after young Tag waved his legs in the
air from the stage so all and sundry could get a good look at his small
feet. It was a roaring success however, so no doubt the little fella
himself will proudly let you all know how wonderful he was in the not
too
distant. As a taster though, I can reveal that cleavage did figure
prominently during the evening.

Keith Watson mentioned "Gregory's Girl". Which is always a
good thing to do. "Tek et awwfff."

And Brummy-Scot Robert Malcom McTaggart with real ginger hair and
everything suggested that The Duke may have been a goth!??

Well, I can throw a wee bit more light on this. Browsing through the
grown-up pictures on the website at the weekend, a friend of mine, who
used to live in London, did mention that she kind of maybe recognised
The Duke as a friend of a friend who went to a Sister's concert at the
Royal Albert Hall in 1988 or something. This wasn't enough to convince
me though so I did try and corroborate the story by checking out
"Young And Foolish" in Waterstones. Who knows, perhaps it should
have really been called "Young and Stupid"? Unfortunately the woman
in Waterstones had never heard of an author called the Duke. She
hadn't heard of one called the Count either as it happens. And then they
threw me out for turning tables around. Incidentally, you can't do that
in the
M&S in Manchester. They have big bouncers in beige uniforms who reward
you with a kick in the teeth if you mess with the store displays.
Anyway, I'm
on the trail now.

Sleuthingly Yours,
John

PS Can anyone tell me how to contact that Stlucy person. Gorgeous birds
like her always go for losers like me.