Sinister: Parka-life

Ian D. Thompson ian.thompson at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 20 17:07:19 BST 1998

Gary wrote...

>Lord Anthony did do Parkas, but they weren't like the "fish tail" parkas
>that mods wear. I had an LA one when I was in Primary school, but then most
>people did at the time. They were great, except when  the hood was
>completely zipped up so that the furry bit covered your face and got in your
>mouth. As for ridicule, surely dragging people round the schoolyard by the
>loop thing on the top/back of the hood was much more fun.

You could also have hours of fun with Parkas if you actually used the
built-in pen/pencil holder on the arm that prevented you from bending your
elbows,  doing groovy robot impressions.  Added bonus if your mum had sewn
your mittens thru the sleeves to reduce mobility even more.   Ahh, great days.

The LAnt jackets i remember were kinda beigey "blouson" style jackets with
cheesey tartan linings, zip-up pockets and elasticated wrists... it was
required to wear brown corduroy trousers with them, preferably half masts,
and to carry an old style leather-look brown satchel with broken buckles
containing a half eaten marmite (or nutella?) sandwhich .

RE: thrush from railings
This is to do with Mick mentioning that when he was wee at school he used
to lick the ice that formed on the school railings.  I must admit I used to
do that too.  Must be a north Scotland thing.  I never heard of anyone
getting thrush from it tho' (dont think candida would survive outside in a
Scottish winter ;)

Ian