Sinister: Will they ever see the real you?

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Wed Oct 21 14:53:40 BST 1998

Just call me "far behind".  Actually, I prefer "Reid", but I digress...I
only just this past morning read the issue of Chickfactor that had the
interviews with Sarah and Isobel.  Very interesting.  Isobel...well, she
did say that she considered "talking" to be her biggest vice, but a lot
of times, her answers just plain didn't make sense.  I'll give her the
benefit of the doubt and put it down to nervousness.  Sarah's interview
was much better.  She came across as a hard-drinking sweetie, and just
as adorably vulnerable as you might expect a B&S member to be.

One thing she brought up, though (and I've wondered about this before)
is that none of the B&Sers were happy with Sinister, but, as usual,
didn't say why.  Has anyone else heard of any reasons that they were
unhappy with this album.  I think there's a lot more to be unhappy about
with The Boy.  I love it, of course, but if you want to find mistakes
and a truck-load of things that need to be fixed, that's the album.  The
fact that Sarah said that they all want to try really hard to make a
classic album makes the mistakes on The Boy that much more baffling.
Again, it's a wonderful album and it's not at all ruined, but...I just
wonder how they let so many faults slip by.

And the digest is buried deep somewhere in my Trash folder, but someone
mentioned that she thinks that Isobel, Stevie and Stuart D.'s songs,
while very good, are really inferior to Stuart M.'s, and I'd just like
to agree.  I like all of those songs (the music to Chickfactor, esp),
but I consider Stuart Murdoch to be one of the greatest songwriters of
the past 20 years, and the other stuff just doesn't (just *can't*)
measure up.  Should those songs have been left off the album?  I don't
know...I kind of like the *idea* of it being more of a band effort.
But...well, my point's made.  On to other things...

Some westerner wrote:

> i shant be going to any of those belle and sebastian shows, since california
> apparently isnt important enough to rate a stop this time around (but athens
> is, right?  yep.)

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that this is the first time that someone
publicly wondered *why* Belle and Sebastian are playing in Athens.  To
keep it short, it is simply one of the coolest towns on the East Coast.
And I'm so proud of our little Belles and Sebastians for not avoiding
the South like most UK bands do.  Athens is not a tiny little hick town
which, if I'm not wrong, the above quote implies.  It's an hour from a
city you might have heard of called Atlanta (another great place) and is
home to the University of Georgia.  And in case you weren't in the know,
there's a few good bands and songwriters from Athens, some of which you
may have even heard of.  So yes, Athens IS important enough to rate a
stop, thank you.

What with Rod going to Boston and Tag going to Toronto, it seems that a
hefty chunk of the UK Sinisterinos are right jet-setters.  As I so often
do after reading a digest, I feel inadequate.  Okay, so part of the time
I feel inadequate and part of the time I feel superior.  But today I
feel inadequate.  And I thought I was special just for taking my
hard-earned vacation days to drive to Athens and DC!  Not hardly...

Nutella tip: spread inside a flour tortilla and heated up just a
little.  Mmmmm....multi-cultural.  Then again, I could make a meal out
of a stack of warm flour tortillas.

I not very smutty, so I don't have much to share on that front.
Sorry...

Uh, if this message gets delievered three times, then, uh, I meant it
and if you don't like it I'll fight ya.  Grrrrr!

The State Fair's a day away,
         Reid