Sinister: ...for I have sinned

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 21 17:05:36 BST 1998

     On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Mctaggart, Robert wrote:

     > confused, but I love her. Oh, Charlotte, can I take the opportunity
     > apologise for my Ralph Wiggum-like reaction to meeting you in
     London.
     > "Tag, this is Charlotte". "Errr, I've got a cat called Charlotte".
     > I've been embarrassed about that ever since, if it's any
     consolation.

     Stuart Gardiner (skg21 at hermes.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
     >While he's at it, can I apologise for the fact that when I met
     Charlotte
     >in London just about the first thing I asked was her age? Very
     >ungentlemanly. I blame it on the amount I'd had to drink by that
     point. Oh
     >well.

     I'm now going for some kind of record for apologies on the list (four
     at the last count) from listees I met at Shepherd's Bush. All very
     nice, of course, but as I've already reassured Tag I have no
     recollection of being compared to a cat by Tag, didn't notice being
     bawled at by Rod, didn't feel insulted by JJ, and don't recall being
     asked my age by Stuart. The only apology I deserve is because the
     first cup of coffee tastes like washing up is now a week old. Thank
     you all for being so nice anyway...

     I must say that the apologies make a lovely change from any vitriol
     whihc might have been around not so long ago. I quite like the idea of
     a supplicating, apologising, penance paying list. Mea culpa, mea
     maxima culpa!

     Today's list penance for anything you might have done wrong is to sing
     a line of Belle & Sebastian to everyone you meet. Oh yes. Even the
     checkout girl at Sainsbury's. Tomorrow's list penance is devised by...
     Stuart Gardiner. I like this game.

     Charlotte