Sinister: Will they ever see the real you?

Stephanie smfisher at xxx.edu
Wed Oct 21 20:37:36 BST 1998

And then Reid, aka "far behind", wrote:

> Actually, I'm kind of surprised that this is the first time that someone
> publicly wondered *why* Belle and Sebastian are playing in Athens.  To
> keep it short, it is simply one of the coolest towns on the East Coast.
> And I'm so proud of our little Belles and Sebastians for not avoiding
> the South like most UK bands do.  Athens is not a tiny little hick town
> which, if I'm not wrong, the above quote implies.  It's an hour from a
> city you might have heard of called Atlanta (another great place) and is
> home to the University of Georgia.  And in case you weren't in the know,
> there's a few good bands and songwriters from Athens, some of which you
> may have even heard of.  So yes, Athens IS important enough to rate a
> stop, thank you.

Thank you thank you thank you! You are right about Athens being important
enough for Belle & Sebby to stop at. And NO, I am NOT just saying that
because I live there! Well, not entirely...but this is also the only
southeast show, not counting Washington. And! There are *tons* of bands
that go to California, or just play New York and maybe some other
northeast cities. And I think Donovan or Katrina or David or some other
person like that at one time mentioned they'd be touring the west coast in
1999. Or did I just dream that??
Well, I am sorry if I seem a bit defensive, it's just that SOME people
(i.e. me) never have and will get to see most of their favourite
bands--without traveling--so I am very glad I at least have the
*opportunity* to see one of my favourites really soon. It's nice that for
once some UK band at least considered Athens, or the entire southeast,
definitely.

And to Carl, who asked about Kurt Vonnegut...well, I don't know how to get
tickets if you're a non-student, but the university is adjacent (?) to the
downtown area. It's basically right across the street. It's about a 2-3
minute drive (if that much, probably less) and if needed you could even
walk from the campus to the 40 Watt.

Smut content: umm...none for today

Cheers & love,
Stephanie

"Even when I was a tiny girl, I preferred being alone...I could give my
imagination free rein and live in a world of lovely dreams"--Greta Garbo