Sinister: o athens, how i love thee

sad tomato oxygen at xxx.edu
Wed Oct 21 23:21:30 BST 1998

Some southerner wrote:
>Actually, I'm kind of surprised that this is the first time that someone
>publicly wondered *why* Belle and Sebastian are playing in Athens.  To
>keep it short, it is simply one of the coolest towns on the East Coast.
>And I'm so proud of our little Belles and Sebastians for not avoiding
>the South like most UK bands do.  Athens is not a tiny little hick town
>which, if I'm not wrong, the above quote implies.  It's an hour from a
>city you might have heard of called Atlanta (another great place) and is
>home to the University of Georgia.  And in case you weren't in the know,
>there's a few good bands and songwriters from Athens, some of which you
>may have even heard of.  So yes, Athens IS important enough to rate a
>stop, thank you.

so athens is important because it is an hour from atlanta and has a few good
bands and songwriters?  sheesh, if that were the measure of importance i
must remember never to associate with los angeles or new york city or anything.
after having been on many lists and having divorced myself from those lists
because of the fear of actually saying anything, i shall have to say
"shame!"  i actually DO know where athens is....in greece right?  please
dont underestimate my sense of geography....of course athens is in georgia.
and r.e.m. are from there.  and i drove through there once before.  and
atlanta has lots of kudzu and the braves, and the padres are better than the
braves. (but maybe not the yankees.)  you all must understand how bitter i
am by the fact that belle and sebastian played here in the san francisco bay
area once before, and i had no idea, and cried buckets afterwards.  and
then, to realize that they arent coming over here at all this time around.
having grown up in podunk san diego, i was used to not seeing live shows,
but i thought that once i moved away to the big ole san francisco area i
would never miss a band ever again.  i didnt mean to crunch your town; i
just am really curious why san francisco or even los angeles doesnt rate a stop.
sorry to make everyone read this....although i know if you really didnt care
you would have moved on and not have read this.....but i need to assert
myself and show that i shant be walked on or belittled.
am i the only one who has noticed that it is well nigh impossible to make
any opinion here that doesnt get a grumpy response unless one is a smooth
talker from u.k.?  i am surprised anyone says anything at all really.  okay,
i am actually having fun with this....reid, shall we battle this out
privately?  or perhaps just chat?  i am sure athens is a gorgeous place, really.
by coincidence i am wearing a t-shirt with a picture of athens on it....the
one in georgia.

after another one of those that-wasnt-what-i-meant-to-say-at-all things,
robin.

Blood oranges grow well in Florida, but they frighten American women.