Sinister: o athens, how i love thee

Tara Widmer TWidmer at xxx.com
Thu Oct 22 01:13:33 BST 1998

<<you all must understand how bitter i am by the fact that belle and
sebastian played here in the san francisco bay area once before, and i had
no idea>>
can somebody tell me, when was this show?? my friend said the same thing,
and i disagreed, haughtily insisting, "no, *I* would've remembered".... esp
having read that B&S have only played gigs in NY prior to, well, today?
Could I <gasp> be wrong?!? that would be... well, normal actually.

<<then, to realize that they arent coming over here at all this time around.
having grown up in podunk san diego, i was used to not seeing live shows,
but i thought that once i moved away to the big ole san francisco area i
would never miss a band ever again.>>

honeychile, I know... there, there... Despite all the explanations that it
wasn't possible or convenient or whatever for the band to come here now, and
the reassurances that next year will bring a tour, it still feels
slightly...insulting...(not quite the word I'm looking for).. True, maybe no
one person or party is responsible, but it still leaves us unhappy.  We'll
patiently await the spring tour, but in the meantime...
Maybe some lemons or rosemary would help... Susan(?), sincerest thanks for
that advice! Only yesterday i was reading about "seasonal depression" and
thought, "hmm, that's exactly how I'm feeling!" only to learn that those
lightbox things cost upwards of $300 -  i.e. the cost of a plane ticket to
New york!

There is some good news to be found in that Saint Etienne have announced
dates for their first US headline tour!!! And yes, it includes California!

Speaking of licking railings, which some of the naughtier amongst us were
doing (should we now start a rude "sinister" photos page?) what does she
mean when Isobel sings about "skipping tickets"?

Hope the Boston show ruled!
ta,
taracita