Sinister: o athens, how i love thee

Brier Random brier at xxx.com
Thu Oct 22 08:07:37 BST 1998

I was going to reply exclusively to Sad Tomato, but in case there are any
other angry Californians who are jealous about living in the wrong place at
the wrong time, here it is:

Is your name from REM's "Crush With Eyeliner"?  If so, well said!

But not so well-said on your defensive missive about B&S not touring the
west coast this winter.  They're coming in early 99, and they'll be well
rested.  It's just a matter of them playing the east coast FIRST.  It seems
like that's why you're so upset.  "They're playing in YOUR area first!  They
like YOU better!  Waaaaaahhh!!!"  You say SF and LA "don't even rate a
stop".  No, they don't.  They rate an ENTIRE TOUR, to be conducted as early
as three months from now.  Patience!  I actually agreed with the beginning
of your post; whoever suggested that Athens was important because of its
proximity to Atlanta and because of a few good bands missed the mark.  But
Athens IS important to a band like Belle & Sebastian, simply because large
numbers of people who are fans live there, and will be able to see the band
they like.  That's why bands tour.  (And for money, yes.  But playing their
mucic to people who like it is an inspiration too.)  Feel lucky that you'll
ever get to see them at all, and that they even exist.  I am thankful every
day that B&S are alive & around & soundtracking our lives.  Amen. Goodbye.

>so athens is important because it is an hour from atlanta and has a few
good
>bands and songwriters?  sheesh, if that were the measure of importance i
>must remember never to associate with los angeles or new york city or
anything.
>after having been on many lists and having divorced myself from those lists
>because of the fear of actually saying anything, i shall have to say
>"shame!"  i actually DO know where athens is....in greece right?  please
>dont underestimate my sense of geography....of course athens is in georgia.
>and r.e.m. are from there.  and i drove through there once before.  and
>atlanta has lots of kudzu and the braves, and the padres are better than
the
>braves. (but maybe not the yankees.)  you all must understand how bitter i
>am by the fact that belle and sebastian played here in the san francisco
bay
>area once before, and i had no idea, and cried buckets afterwards.  and
>then, to realize that they arent coming over here at all this time around.
>having grown up in podunk san diego, i was used to not seeing live shows,
>but i thought that once i moved away to the big ole san francisco area i
>would never miss a band ever again.  i didnt mean to crunch your town; i
>just am really curious why san francisco or even los angeles doesnt rate a
stop.
>sorry to make everyone read this....although i know if you really didnt
care
>you would have moved on and not have read this.....but i need to assert
>myself and show that i shant be walked on or belittled.
>am i the only one who has noticed that it is well nigh impossible to make
>any opinion here that doesnt get a grumpy response unless one is a smooth
>talker from u.k.?  i am surprised anyone says anything at all really.
okay,