Sinister: philly, t-shirts, soccer

Goon Koch goon_koch at xxx.com
Thu Oct 22 18:28:12 BST 1998

How to describe the anticipation I have for the upcoming shows?

There is constantly at least an inch of air between my steel-toed shoes
and the ground.  When I’m sitting at my desk and staring at drawings and
design documents there is only one thing going around and around in my
head and it is: “central location for you is a must/as you stagger about
making free/with your lewd and lascivious boasts” and just about the
whole time I’m swiveling around in my chair and clicking my fingers.
And as I’m staggering about, er, I mean striding purposefully about the
grounds of the Great Benevolent Pharmaceutical Company (sometimes with
hard hat and sometimes without) I quietly hum to myself and the whole
time I’m thinking “all these people are probably thinking thoughts that
could best be described in mathematical or chemical symbols and I wonder
what they would think if they knew that I was thinking about girls who
dream of horses.”

What I like the best about Belle and Sebastian is that for the first
time this band-that-I’m-totally-into doesn’t make me feel cooler, or
better informed, or ahead of my time, or endowed with better taste than
the droves of schlubs who are taking off early from work as we speak to
buy the new Alanis Morrissette album.  Belle and Sebastian make me:
-  glad to be alive
-  happy that there are other people who revel in the wonderful
mysteries and minutiae that make life interesting.
-  want to keep a journal and do creative things.
-  want to treat people with respect and affection.

And I think it’s great that the primary agenda of sinisterites, as far
as I can tell, is not record collection fetishism.  In fact, there is no
main agenda.  Well, ok, this week it’s witty smuttiness . . .

In a little more than twenty-four hours I will be one of the first to
stand in line outside the Trocadero, jumping up and down to keep from
freezing and generally working myself into a joyful frenzy.  I’m
determined to stand up front because that way I will actually block the
fewest people’s view.  And I will tell the band that everything is cool
and that we all think they’re great and would they please come back real
soon.  But of course we don’t want to put too much pressure on them or
seem creepy or make the tour more stressful than it already is.  And I
may offer them some PEZ.

I too have converted my sister to celebrate the gospel of Belle and
Sebastian.  It was not a hard sell.  We’re very different, but when it
comes to the really important things we’re on the same wavelength.

Where am I going to find some daisies?  How did this PEZ thing get
started?

Can somebody who was at the Boston gig tell me about the commercial
activities conducted there?  Is the full line of B&S merchandising
available at the U.S. gigs?  How much are the shirts?  Is the blue Stow
College shirt available.  Is it true that the shirts are available only
in S, M and L?  Why is that?  Everybody else only makes XL so this must
be a conscious decision.  I can understand that the band would want to
enforce certain aesthetic standards and not encourage ghastly sartorial
habits such as the lazy wearing of oversized shirts by the waif-like.
But then there are those of us who genuinely cannot fit into a large.
I’m six-three with wide shoulders.  Does this mean I’m damned to trudge
through my dreary existence without the consolation of a Belle and
Sebastian raiment?  And I really shouldn’t bring this up, but the
dimensions of Americans have already been discussed at great length and
with much bloodshed on this list . . .  (it’s a joke; don’t flame me;
nobody’s fat but even if they were there wouldn’t be anything wrong with
it)

What's this I hear now, the t-shirts are sold out?  All of them?

Oh, sad tomato is absolutely right.  I was at Disney World too recently
and it was chock full of families invariably gathered around a short,
belligerent-looking fellow wearing a brightly colored polyester top with
either “Carlsberg,” “JVC” or “Sharp” across his chest.  Most Americans
aren’t really familiar with this phenomenon and don’t get close enough
to read the fine print on the little patch, but I have a red “Carlsberg”
kit of my own that I wear on the pitch sometimes, so I can decipher some
of these symbols.  I think the kits are worn in the Florida heat for the
very same reason that Sir Edmund Hillary dragged a little Union Jack all
the way up Everest.  I mean, wearing your colors at Anfield, Highbury or
Old Trafford is a little redundant, but when you go abroad you’d like
people to know that you have values and stand for something and can’t be
counted on to do anything useful on Saturdays.  And also to express your
contempt for everybody else.

Sorry about the length, but you know I am excited about those gigs . . .

-g. k.-
will not be wearing a blue "McEwan's" kit in the first row at the Troc.