Sinister: a bus story, boston show

remaniac eyh96 at xxx.edu
Fri Oct 23 00:49:09 BST 1998

This afternoon, I rode the bus to my class at the rare book library.
Literally just as the batteries in my discman expired during "you made
me forget my dreams" (which, incidentally, Teri/we spoke with Stuart D
about last night), the bus came to a unexpected halt. A group of
schoolchildren was assembled by the roadside, and boarded the bus. The
children were carrying soprano recorders in little pouches, and they were
accompanied by their teacher--a man who seemed to have complete authority
over the group of twenty or so children, yet was gentle and softspoken.
The children were very excited to be riding a "college bus." Their stop
came up after a few minutes and when they were gone, the bus was
distinctly uieter but full of college kids-- all smiling because our
collective bus ride had been made more special.
Hope you don't mind my sharing; the incident just struck me as very Belle
and Sebastian-esque.

Of course, _everything_ reminds me of B&S today, as I have yet to get over
last night's boston show! Yes, "a spaceboy dream" was brilliant. One of my
favorite moments was when Stuart M asked the "lighting man" to improve the
situation. And his singing from the back (where no one could see him)
just endeared the band to me even more, as did their apologies and
comments between songs. B&S are awesomely, genuinely kind and humble.
sweeties. They seemed a bit nervous at first (or perhaps it was the
"sleepy" lighting), but it was all beautiful.

btw, nice ink polaroid, Kerry :)  Did you write it in your book?
sorry that no one responded to our sign and hoping that the Sinisterines
will be more visible at the Philly, Toronto, and NYC shows! Kristin, we
tried to hang the sinister sign up for you to see during your midterm, but
alas it was cleared away-- we were thinking of you, though!

--emily