Sinister: review of the boston show

Joe 99rrrer at xxx.com
Fri Oct 23 08:24:56 BST 1998

Hey all,

You'll have to excuse me because even though I'm a huge B&S fan, I still
don't know who is who in the band, like the lead singer's name, for example.

But here it goes:

The Geek Chic contingent was in full force. Security seemed to be checking
people's attire at the door. No one not dressed in Airwalks, corduroy pants,
t-shirts with cardigans and thick black-rimmed glasses and smoking clove
cigarettes was allowed into the auditorium. Truly a Smiths crowd if I've
ever seen one. The Alannis Morrissette concert was the same night as well as
game 4 of the Yankees game. Cool, artsy, effeminate guys (hey I'm one so I
can say that!) at B&S, Jocks/Frat boys at bars for the Yankees game and just
all-around lame-o's at the alannis show. Typically, the so-called 'cool'
station (WFNX)was in full force at the alannis show, playing alannis all day
on the radio while they still have NEVER played a B&S song.

As for the show, it was good, not great.  I love the band but they really
need to work on their stage presence. I don't think I've ever seen 9
musicians (yes 9!) be less dynamic in my life.

Here's the point by point review with the playlist at the end:

Morse auditorium is a lousy venue for concerts with poor acoustics, a tiny
stage and forced movie theater-like seating (which stops most people from
dancing or even standing up to enjoy the band). B&S should've played a club
instead but then I guess Alannis had Avalon covered now, didnt she?

The band's song list wasn't the best. They skipped most of their great
material and played a lot of their weakest tunes along with two new songs.
(Do we really need to hear 'space boy dream' live?)

The sound mix was a bit fucked up with the synth coming out twice as loud as
the rest of the instruments.

The band seemed really disorganized, and spent more time talking to each
other between songs than they actually did playing songs. Also, half the
band members looked like they REALLY didnt want to be there (ie Isabel who
seemed to be having some sort of argument with the lead singer between each
song.)

But the lead singer was AMAZING. He is truly great. He actually hit those
high notes he hits on the CD's (meaning his voice isnt doctored in the
studio like so many other artists.)If he got rid of the rest of the band
(and all the distractions they entailed)and just sang his songs by himself
with just his guitar, it would be perfect. He's that exceptional. And seeing
him live was worth all the letdowns from the other problems.

Like the big sticking point. Virtually no talking to the audience. (except
during a great mock cover of 'more than a feeling' by Boston) Five minutes
between each song talking amongst themselves so the show didn't build to any
climax. They played for maybe an hour, maybe a little longer (though again,
half of that was spent talking amongst themselves) and then out of the blue,
they just walked off the stage. No warning. No "this is our last song". And
no encore. It just ended completely abruptly. It just felt really unsatisfying.

The opening act "Containe" was pretty weak.

Doors were scheduled to open at 8pm but due to a long soundcheck by B&S,
doors didnt open til 8:45. When we got into the theater, Containe were
starting their soundcheck. The show started late which might explain why B&S
didnt play an encore? Maybe they had to end the show by a certain time?
Still, they should just get rid of the opening act and double the length of
their performance.

Still, I do love them even if they suck live. (don't flame me)  It's just my
expectations were so high. But seeing them live, I doubt they'll ever be in
the smiths or echo & bunnymen league. They just don't have the stage
presence to make the leap to superstar status. (So I guess they'll remain
our little secret, which is fine by me anyway)

Here's the playlist. 14 song set. They opened the show brilliantly. (Which
may have been cause for my letdown. They were so tight and excellent for the
first few songs that it was startling to see them just fall apart as the
show went on)

This isn't the exact order but its reasonably close.

They opened with "Simple things" from arab strap. Then "Beautiful" from
3.6.9. seconds. Then "is it wicked not to care?" from arab strap. Then
"Century of Fakers" from 3.6.9 seconds. Then some song I've never heard
before which sounded like it was about someone named Tony who sat in the
back of class and eventually became a transvestite. I think the lead singer
said it was a new song. Then the other guitarist who has the absolute worst
voice I've ever heard sang some new song he'd just written which was
abysmal. Well, it would be okay if the lead singer with the gorgeous voice
sang it instead. Seriously, these people need to get a clue and let the lead
singer bask in the spotlight since he's the one we all came to see. (Isabel
lost all her appeal to me after the way she acted on stage).  But that new
song by the guy with the lousy voice just took the wind out of the
performance and the show derailed from there. My friends and I were trying
to guess what the lead singer and isabel were arguing about. or more
precisely, what he seemed to be apologizing to her for while she sulked. We
decided maybe she was jealous that he sang backup too loud on 'is it wicked
not to care'. Or maybe that the crowd seemed to be applauding for him and
not her.

ANYWAY....

Then they played Sleep the clock around, seeing other people, like dylan in
the movies, space boy dream,  get me away from here I'm dying, boy with the
arab strap, judy and the dream of horses and then closed with 'the boy done
wrong again'. (great closer, huh?)

So they didnt play most of my favorite songs, like stars of track and field,
if youre feeling sinister, mayfly, ease your feet in the sea, summer
wasting, dirty dream #2, chickfactor, brilliant career, put the book back on
the shelf, etc, etc.

thats it. I'm sure I pissed some people off by coming off too harsh. Like I
said, it was great to see them live, it just wasnt a great show.

Joe