Sinister: Getting down to it - but not with a B&S soundtrack

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 23 09:35:07 BST 1998

Kevan says
>Someone, probably someone called Jessica, suggested getting down to some
>low down dirty sweaty squelchy stuff to a soundtrack of Belle and
Sebastian.
>Surely the only music appropriate for such things is a smattering of Isaac
>Hayes (for preliminary smoochiness) followed by the William Tell overture.

Then Michael wrote...

No, no, no, no.  THE lurve makin' soundtrack has to be Lets Get It On, by
Marvin Gaye.  The ladies dig it.  The most.  And rather than the WTO can I
suggest the Ode to Joy part from Bette's 9th followed by the ending of the
1812 Overture (big thrust at every cannon).  Ok, its a bit of nuisance
getting up to change the CDs (especially between Ode and 1812), but the
overall effect is definitely worth it. Possibly.

After months of careful persuasion I finally persuaded my girlfiriend to
listen to Moon Safari, by Air.  After listening to it for ten minutes or so,
in her usual sensitive vein she cried out - "it's a shag album.  It's
nothing but a shag album."  At first I was offended that she took this
outrageously promiscuous viewpoint, but as the album moved on she proved her
theory to be a very good one, so I had a smoke and wondered if I had the
energy to get up and press the repeat button.

I have found in my past that the worst music to listen to whilst engaging in
even mild jiggy-jiggy is anything you love.  Maybe it's just me, or maybe it
was my companion at the time, but it's just so distracting.  The only upside
is that you can maybe work out the chords while you're listening, or invent
backing vocal harmonies.

Ah, the romance.