Sinister: stuff'n'nonsense

Lolo Wood lolo at xxx.ie
Fri Oct 23 13:42:17 BST 1998

Hello Siinister siblings -

Re. Rachael's Tom Waits-spotting story:
I have not only a Tom Waits-spotting story, albeit a 'friend of a friend'
one, but a Close Relation Of A Key Member Of B&S-spotting story (altough
the latter is a bit lame when I think about it.) Anyway, Mr Waits:

There have been several spottings of Tom Waits around the Kerry area, waay
down in the South of Ireland. But the best one has to be the following,
which someone told e at the Liss Ard festival earlier this year.
A mate of his was in a pub in a tiny village in Kerry, when the
unmistakable Mr. Waits came in with one of the locals, and proceeded to
have a few pints.  After the Guinness had been flowing for a while, Mr.
Waits started eyeing the piano and asked the landlady if she'd mind if he
played a few tunes.  Her response was "Oh, no, the piano belongs to my
husband, he's not here and he doesn't like people playing it".  he tried
to explain to her who he was, and the rest of the patrons, salivating at
thet idea of an impromptu accoustic singalonga-Tom, pleaded his case.
But she wouldn't budge. The piano styed locked, Mr.Waits had another pint
and left.  My friend's friend wept into his beer.

Much more relevant to the list, but far less interesting is my boyfriend's
story about the middle-aged Scottish gentleman who was browsing in the
record shop where he works (Borderline Records in Dublin), who asked the
owner had he heard of B&S, and did he have any of their records.  My
boyf's boss, phillistine that he is, said something akin to "oh yeah...
them... no, we don't have anything..." Then the gentleman revealed himself
to be none other than - gasp! - Stuart Murdoch's dad! My boyfriend,
despite being an extremely shy startled-bunny type, managed to pipe up and
assert that he was a fan. Mr.Murdoch Snr. seemed to be impressed that
someone in Ireland had even heard of B&S. But when I asked my boyfriend
what he looked like, expecting tales of a distinguished chiseled manly
jaw, sparkling eyes with just a hint of melancholy, etc., all I got was
"He looked like somebody's Dad." Oh well.
 This has been a very long posting, so I'll be off.

But before I go:
Robin - the best way of cleaning vinyl is just lukewarm soapy water and a
soft cloth, but you can buy expensive preparations in swanky hifi shops.

Byee,
Lolo