Sinister: Encores, wintery songs, etc.

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Fri Oct 23 14:19:20 BST 1998

Amazing.  Three digests are waiting in my mailbox this morning and not
ONE description of the Philly show.  I just think it's interesting is
all, considering how many reviews we got of the Boston show (which is
great...keep 'em coming).

> The show started late which might explain why B&S
> didnt play an encore?

I don't think that B&S have been playing ANY encores.  Which I think is
GREAT.  I'm so sick of encores.  The band walks off the stage, goes back
to have a drink and an a 30-second rest, while we're supposed to stay
packed in like sardines clapping and cheering to show our great
appreciation and then pretend that we called them back for an encore?!
I'm thrilled that they're not playing any encores.  Just another entry
into the file of "Reasons to Love Belle and Sebastian."

>         Hm...I was trying to pick a B&S song that sounds wintry. I
want to make
> a seasonal winter tape, with all sorts of wintry-sounding songs.

Maybe this has to do with the time of the year that I bought it, or
maybe it has to do with all the mentions of snow and rain, but pretty
much the entire album of Sinister (minus Mayfly) sounds wintery to me.
The only song on The Boy that I think sounds wintery is "The
Rollercoaster Ride", which I'd love to listen to while watching those
big, thick flakes that I only ever saw in Alaska.  But I think it's all
because Stuart M. has that perfect "cozy up" voice.

A few random thoughts:

I'd just like to point out that Atlanta, GA is one of the ten biggest
markets in the country, but somehow, still doesn't have any really good
rock 'n' roll clubs.  Athens does, though, in the form of the 40 Watt.
Just to clear that up for anyone who's still wondering why Belle and
Sebastian are playing there (less than a week away...Hose me DOWN, I'm
excited!)

I went into Chapel Hill's hipper-than-hip record store, Two-Way Pull,
where I'm always a little intimidated because they might find out that I
listen to major label bands, but instead of being intimidated, I got to
give the owners a nice, long lecture about all of Belle and Sebastian's
releases.  They were impressed, and I felt indie-ly vindicated.  And I
got an apology from one of them who had previously insisted to me that
it was the singer of Arab Strap on "Spaceboy Dream".  He was
appropriately embarrassed: "Just because it's a guy with a Scottish
accent doesn't mean it's the singer from Arab Strap."  And I'll be
taping Tigermilk for one of the owners, who will be rewarding me with a
tape of the "new" Stereolab.

27 since Tuesday,
   Reid

"If the editors of the Manhattan Argus see fit to publish the rantings
of a disordered mind, perhaps they will see fit to publish this letter."