Sinister: Seasonal B&S, Depressed "Hipsters," etc.

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Sat Oct 24 01:23:08 BST 1998

FunkySeb pens:
> All B&S songs are autumnal/wintery, 'cause the sun rarely shines on
> the hipster...

	Hm, no I have to disagree. First of all, quite a number of the new
album strikes me as springy, maybe even summery. Especially my favorite
song, "Ease Your Feet into the Sea." Another thing I think is that your
definition of hipster must be different from mine, because saddoes whose
every song is a depressed winter or autumn bore don't strike me as hip
in the slightest (um...loo barlough) whereas people who realize there is
more to life than cynicism and depression strike me as a bit more hip.
But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I don't think mine is
absolute. And not to say that the occasional sad song is misplaced, but
life is not just a string of bad events. You have to be happy sometimes,
you know? B&S strike me as the perfect balance.

> I miss the snow. It makes everything look so romantic, it excuses you for
> looking at the world through red eyes.

	Hm, I'm with you on that one. I certainly don't miss sticky summer
nights.

>       Incidentally, I dunno how exciting this proper version of Slow
> Graffffitti is. It's beautiful of course, but it sounds just like the evening
> session version, no added bloopy noises or moogoid wibbles or disco beats or
> anything.

	I haven't heard the liquid audio file, but I dearly love the song. I
think if it were meant to be a bleepy bloopy sort of song, they'd have
recorded it that way in the session, with keyboards and all the other
bits.

> I'm starting to worry about this band you know. Just recently they
> seem to have bought a 'best of Phil Spector' record in woolies and just gone
> 'great! we'll have that!'
> prrrbb. It's all good stuff obviously, it's just that my boat's not floating
> as high as it once did. All I ask is for a dash of Electronic Renaisance, some
> tinny acoustics for once, some crappy beats...stuart? please?

	"Sleep the Clock Around" seems to me to be the closest we'll get to the
sequel to "Electronic Renaissance." I do hope they write some more
bloopy songs, Electronic Renaissance is one of my favorites, but if they
don't, they don't, and I'll be happy with albums like the last one.
Maybe it's a future direction for them to pursue, eh? After their
ragtime album, mayhap.

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)