Sinister: New convertee - off to Toronto tomorrow, a few inquires and comments.

Taboonmb7 at xxx.com Taboonmb7 at xxx.com
Sat Oct 24 05:01:41 BST 1998

Hello Sinisteries..
I'm a new convert to Belle & Sebastian. I say this because, to tell the truth,
I didn't like them upon *initial* listening... I bought "If You're Feeling
Sinister" and thought it sounded like average run-of-the-mill simon &
garfunkle pop. keep in mind i was obviously very close minded, and only gave
it one listening before forming this opinion.. but after hearing SO much about
this band in the recent days I decided to give it another, fully attentative
listen. well, nearly 30 spins on the good old Aiwa later, i am addicted. I
couldn't believe i didn't see the sophistication and literacy that this band
embraces before. The lyrics are intelligable and very well though out, with a
style of their own. and the music is just subliminally quiet and beautiful,
perfect for any time of the year or day.
I have also bought The Boy With The Arab Strap, and i must say i didn't care
for it at first, but gave it the same treatment as ...Sinister and now it's
among my favorite albums. i love the evolution in the music, many more
instruments and a more oceany ambience to it.

Well, anyways, enough of my enthusiastic ramblings... enthusiastic because i
am traveling a four-hour trek from Flint Michigan (no laughing) to Toronto to
catch them at the Opera House! have a hotel booked and everything :)

my first question reguards the setlists - how long are they usually on stage?
it doesn't really matter, i'm just curious, because i've been to shows like
Morrissey who plays for a dismal 45 minutes, and The Cure (my favorite :)  ),
who play a 3 hour set usually.

and how accessable are the band? again, not that i want to hurdle myself
backstage just to tell the band "you are the greatest!" or anything lame and
predictable like that. i'd like to maybe shake hands, thank them, and perhaps
get an autograph or two purely as a momento from a perfect night.

this list seems very pleasant in just the few posts i have read - thank you.

Belle & Sebastian are a REFRESHING spalsh of pop in this dreary decade.

"Sit back and enjoy... The Real McCoy."
- Siouxsie & The Banshees, "Monitor."

~james* (but that's entertainment..)