Sinister: Philadelphia: CANCELED

Michael H Gilham mgilham at xxx.edu
Sat Oct 24 20:26:41 BST 1998

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Butch Sweaters wrote:

> An unbelieveable ending to two months of waiting: Belle and Sebastian cancel
> tonight's show at Philadelphia's Trocadero, apparently due to Isobel's
> illness. Here's a short version: Cinerama plays; B&S's equipment get set up,
> which takes about 45 minutes; about 30 minutes go by with nothing but the
> Housemartins playing; people start to get gitated; someone with a Scottish
> accent comes out and says that someone in the band is ill and that she'e
> been taken to the hospital, but the band will be on shortly, sorry for the
> delay; another 45 minutes pass and another person, also Scottish (maybe

For the record, the first guy that came out never said the "band will be
on shortly."
	He did say they were trying to "sort it out" and possibly said
that, "hopefully [the] band will be on shortly."
	This may sound like the same thing, but, actually the first
announcement was a good clue that they weren't going to play -- if you
listened and watched closely ... Not that it stopped me from waiting
around for the "official" word! ;-D

> where you bought your tickets...

> At this point (midnight EDT, Friday night), I'm too disappointed to
> describe, but I will say this (which is something I think alot of people
> will say): Why can't a nine piece band make due with only eight when 1,200
> people have been waiting two hours in a club for them to play (and God knows

When the first guy made his announcement, I was tempted to yell up, "Get
Sally [to fill in]"  [Sally Murrell from Cinerama, that is]. ;-)
	But, yeah, it seemed they certainly coulda gone on w/o Isobel ...
Evidently, for them, it's an "all or nothing" proposition ...

	Anyway, let's wish the best for Isobel! :-)

take care,
--Michael, who thinks The Trocadero really needs to re-think their
"entrance system"!!