Sinister: From a Sad Boy named Franco.

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Sun Oct 25 07:04:42 GMT 1998

> STRIKE ONE, Belle and Sebastian, STRIKE ONE.

Oh, this made me sad... I've been reading the huge amounts of mail after
traveling 650 miles since 5 p.m. on Friday... and it's nice to see that most
of the people have been concerned for Isobel's health foremost.

We talked a little with Stuart later on and he apologized, over and over
again, worried about the fans who had come so far to face disappointment.  He
was amazed by how far people had traveled -- I think he was truly surprised by
it.  Must not happen like that in the UK.  He was also terribly worried about
Isobel.

Yes, it was a great disappointment for the fans, no matter how far they
traveled.  But, consider the disappointment the band must be feeling as well.
To have come so far, prepared to perform their songs for an eager and recently
enlarged audience -- while being, so it always seems, shy and worried about
the whole thing.  Then to have a disaster like this happen...

I know it seems as if the band "should" have done something, perfomed in some
way, at first glance.  But, Belle & Sebastian are a unique sort of band, I
think.  And that's what makes them -- and their music -- so special.  Who
knows, really, what the decision-making process was last night?  I am sure
that Isobel's health and well-being must have been the main thing, followed by
the rest of the band's comfort level with perfoming without an integral part
of the group, all the while worried about her.  They must have felt that it
would have been detrimental to the music and the band to go on, or they
certainly would have.  I can tell you that everyone we met from the band
looked as disappointed as the fans -- No,  more so...  hell, THEY traveled
THOUSANDS of miles and now feel they've let people down.  Not to mention
they're stuck living in a bus...

Despite my disappointment, I did have a fairly good time after all.  Cinerama
were really good (it's all taste of all sorts).   We attended the aftershow in
the upstairs bar and enjoyed Xavier's band, Clock Strikes Thirteen.  There is
some talent on this list!!  (And thanks, Xavier, for the making the "mother
and child reunion" possible :)   It was great to meet listees and put faces to
mail --  It is soooo nice to have someone come up and say, "Are you...." and
just start talking away!  We all crossed our fingers and hoped to meet again
in DC and NY.

I guess I'm trying to say,  Belle and Sebastian have given us lots:  wonderful
music that people have laughed, cried and fallen in love to (and some are
apparently shagging to), inspired a honey of a list that has everything from
the ridiculous to the sublime (AND smut!), the opportunity to make friends and
plan meet-ups and picnics...  Let's just try to give them some of that back by
trying to support them in what must be an awfully hard time of decisions (and
disappointments) for them.  They deserve a little more than someone yelling
"fuck you" and the other crap poor Chris had to take, as if they did something
awful on purpose.

Oh, Pollyanna, me...

--michele/simone