Sinister: shag-a-lang-a-ding-dong

Neil Dewhurst NeilD at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 27 12:22:23 GMT 1998

All these exchanges about music pour fait amour - can I lower the tone?

It strikes me that The tindersticks latest opus (curtains) is a fine dirty
low down album.  Not necessarily the best for sweet romance, it's been
pitched - if indeed it was recorded for this purpose, and I'm sure Stuart
Staples like to bump n' grind in front of the fire, you know - more at the
dirty lonely man market.  Songs about scratching, rented rooms, cheating,
and tired hungry bears who've been out all night making sweet love to bears
they shouldn't be with.

I am reminded of a friend of mine (and I mention it because I woke up this
morning with no feeling in my arms after sleeping on them all night.
Believe me, dragging your dead limbs across a room and switching an alarm
clock off with your elbow is not the easiest task) who used to make his own
hand numb before onanism.  Apparently he's not the only one to do this.
Apparently, also, people quite enjoy it.  As someone who finds numbness and
pins and needles quite amusing, I don't think I could do it.

Next week I shall be discussing other intellectual topics, such as "who
would you shoot first - Bridget Jones or Ally McBeal?"