Sinister: chicago gig review

Steven whatev at xxx.com
Wed Oct 28 05:19:45 GMT 1998

    Well, I just got back into town from Chicago(I live in Cleveland), so I thought l'd share my thoughts about the show with the list. First of all it was definitely a wonderful night. Everywhere I went over the weekend l kept hearing people whispering about b&s, wondering if it was going to happen or not. I truly feel sorry for the people in Philly and Toronto, it really did make the Chicago crowd appreciative, though. I don't think anyone really believed they would play until they actually came out on stage, Isobel carrying her "get well Isobel" floaty baloon with her.
    They only played for just over an hour, which everyone thought was too short, but everyone would have thought so if they played all night, i'm sure. Below is what they played, not in order, though. The last three I don't know the names, but I jotted down a portion of the lyric I could remember.

century of fakers
lazy line painter jane
dog on wheels
seeing other people
it could have been a brilliant career
is it wicked not to care
dirty dream #2
chickfactor
lord anthony
wrong girl
paper boat
"walk into this station"
"I know where the summer goes"
"musle skin and bones"

    I was disappointed by no Tigermilk songs, and only 1 Sinister song, but 6(!) new ones made up for it. I was really suprised by the amount of instrument swapping in between songs, and they didn't take as long in between songs as some people have been saying.
    After seeing them in person, I'd have to say Stevie is the cute one of the bunch, even though I had a dirty dream about Stuart M. last night. I was at a party(in the dream) and Stuart was playing some songs on his guitar, and he kept lifting up the leg of his shorts and showing me what he's made of(he wasn't wearing an english cock cage). Don't worry, I didn't touch, I only looked:)
    Stuart's voice was just absolutely perfect. Someone else brought it up, but you always think they do something in the studio to make his voice so perfect, but hearing him in person just brought out the natural crystal clear beauty in it.
    The show was surely one for the history books. I'm really hoping they come back to the states in the spring despite the sickness and all. I really want to take another trip that I can't afford to see the best band around.

Love,
Steven (the boy who sells arab straps)

p.s. On the misheard lyric front, for the longest time I thought the opening line to "seeing other people" was "Renee on a bad day, kissing just for practise." It kinda changes the song a bit.

p.p.s Would anyone like to tape the radio sessions from 97 for me? please email me personally, I'm sure we could work something out.