Sinister: songs of love

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Wed Oct 28 10:56:27 GMT 1998

     This talk of the right kind of music for lurrvvve is all very well,
     but what about the wrong kind of music? Someone I used to go out with
     had a mood tape for the laydeez which had that Momus song that goes
     "Girl you know it's true.... girl I'm only doing it to get next to
     you." Nothing wrong with that, you might think, but this was followed
     by Ravel's Bolero and then for a triumphant finale Nessun Dorma...
     beat that for ill-judged. (I'm not naming and shaming him because he's
     known to at least one person on this list.)

     I agree with whoever said that Belle and Sebastian doesn't work in
     that context. There's too much going on in the sound. "...As he wets
     himself for the final time" - you can't convince me that's the ideal
     soundtrack for passion.

     I like the idea of a list meet-up in London, though I might be too shy
     to go. I went to the Poetry Cafe last week to see a friend of a
     friend's rather lacklustre paintings. I expected to find the point
     jumping with Belle and Sebastian fans. I couldn't even get the guy
     behind the bar to play TWATTYBUS.

     Julian Cope's book looks cool. All that quasi-mysticism, knolls and
     sacred stones. I'm giving it to my Dad for his Christmas.

     Charlotte