Sinister: Vive la France

John Johnston johnj at xxx.com
Thu Oct 29 12:11:48 GMT 1998

Thank you Stephane, for posting the lyrics to poupee de cire. Isn't
French a beautiful language! I'd like to take this opportunity to
commend your country for that and having a swinging and bloodthirsty
national anthem. Hats off!

I remember a fascinating lecture at uni about why the Marseillaise is
such a swinging up-tempo tune. Apparently the revolutionary armies of
France marched much faster than troops used to in the C18th because they
dispensed with baggage trains and lived off the land (and the locals..).
(I love history!)

Anyhow I was puzzling over the lyrics of PDCPDS and when I came to
the verse...
Mes disques sont un miroir
Dans lequel chacun peut me voir
Je suis partout à la fois
Brisée en mille éclats de voix

I said to myself "Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation
by the people listening at home....". I know mille is really a thousand
but the first thing I thought of was the connection and the sentiment is
the same isn't it?

Meet-ups - Can I be so bold as to suggest that if any London listees
wanted a meet up they could do worse than the Bedford Pub in Balham on
Thursdays at about 8pm. Because at 9pm my comedy show goes on for about
an hour and then theres a bar until 12 or so. This is both a serious
suggestion and a shameless plug. I'm on tonight and then again in a
couple of weeks time.

xx
John