Sinister: Raygun magazine

Goon Koch goon_koch at xxx.com
Fri Oct 30 19:35:06 GMT 1998

i think raygun is gorgeous.  if you've got more than a passing interest
in typography (shoutout to g. ballance at the cooper union's herb
lubalin center) you've got to love what they do.  well, at least it was
groundbreaking five years ago.

that said, it can drive you mad if you're actually trying to read the
articles.  what gets me is when they have white text superimposed on an
image and whole sections of the article have no contrast so you can't
read the type.  it doesn't help any that the copy is already in an
unreadable font.  somebody should be slapped around for that.  hard.
with a rolled up copy of last sunday's new york times.  but the magazine
is gorgeous.  at least it was before they had oasis on the cover and
lost me as a reader.  er, i mean, visual appreciator.

but i'd rather have a gorgeous, original magazine that i can't read than
read crap.  and who relies on music magazines for literary sustenance in
the first place?

after persevering in admirable fashion, my philadelphia daisies have
taken a turn for the worse.  a fresh bouquet will adorn my backpack at
the new york show.

for halloween i will drag out my old fishing gear.  xtra-tuf boots,
orange pvc pants and jacket, neoprene wristers, serrated victorinox
knife, nylon baseball cap with jellyfish stains.  after five years it
still smells like salmon and brings back vivid memories of standing up
to my armpits in catch in the hold and having the first mate on his
belly beside me, toking on a beercan bong because he didn't want to
share with the skipper.  this is perfect costume for even the most
animated party (it's also great for romping about manhattan in a violent
storm, but that's another story).  beer spills and vomitus hose right
off, the suit is easily removed in the event of romance and it does not
involve any messy make up.  also, this is not a subtle costume, so i
don't have to deal with annoying "what are you s'posed to be" questions.
a guy in smelly, orange, waterproof getup is not easily confused with a
goblin, troll or leprechaun.

greetings to the austrian list member.  i'm kind of an austrian emigre.
"land der berge, land am strome . . ."

happy halloween, friends.  drive safely.

-goon k.-