Sinister: DC shwinding a lee ding

Kara Baer kebaer at xxx.edu
Sat Oct 31 23:38:08 GMT 1998

I haven't seen many posts on the DC show, so I believe I'll share my convoluted account with y'all.

  My friend, Bo, and I got to the club around 9:30, when the doors were supposed to open.  There was a looo....oong line of people waiting to get in.  Hipsters and sweeties as far as the eye could see.  Bo asked around for a ticket, 'cause he didn't have one.  It was around 10pm then, and we still hadn't been let in.  Fast Forward to 11:30 and finally getting in the doors, skipping over Bo eating a McDonalds Hamburger and getting ill...veganism is the answer people!
   So, we hear the last 2/3 songs by the opening band..I have no idea who they were.  Then they set up the stuff for Belle & Sebby.  I then confessed to Bo that I had brought a camera.  Me, obsessive?  Never.
   At midnight or so, the band ambles on.   I wish I could remeber the exact order of songs..somebody help me out here:

Simple Things:  got lots of cheers...Throughout the show, one girl insisted on
                             shouting for this one even though they had played it first!  Daft!

<things get fuzzy, I know they played these ones..but I'm not sure of the order>

Like Dylan in the Movies
Ease Your Feet Off in the Sea
Century of Elvis:  It's true, people did crane their necks to see who was talking.
MayFly
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
Stars of Track and Field: during this one I started to laugh at the "taking pictures of your obsessions" line, because thats what I'd been doing
Seeing Other People: Stuart hid behind the piano for this one
Is It Wicked Not to Care?
Sleep the Clock Around
Dirty Dream #2: I think this was last

(Quite a few from IYFS)

plus one I hadn't heard which Stevie sang, and one Stuart said they hadn't released.

The crowd was very enthusiatic, but reserved.  No one talked or sang along loudly during the show...people were groovin' though.

I had never really seen any photographs of the band, or anything, before.  Stuart M. has the face of an angel to go with that warm heavenly voice.  Isobel was wearing a very cute pair of Tiger Ears.  She looks like she's feeling better.

The sound was warm and mellow and encompassed me.  I think I could have melted away...le sigh.

Mellowness was not the secret word after the show, however, as Bo and I proceeded to go around in circles trying to find our way out of DC.  I think we passed the same spot 4 or 5 times..we didn't get back until 3am.

Did anyone tape the show?  I know I saw a woman with a video camera...is that you?  No, sorry..my mistake.

Love Kara