Sinister: Leeds gig location

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 3 11:32:39 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Chris wrote:

> ....yeah, I know this is lazy and I've probably deleted an email
> answering this question several times, but can anyone tell me
> a) The name of the road Leeds Variety Theatre is on.
> b) Vague directions from the centre of Leeds/Leeds station
> c) Door times for the gig

The City Varieties has two entrances: one off Briggate (Swan Street) and one on The Headrow.
According to their website, it is the one off Briggate that is in use at present.

The directions that follow are for people walking. I have no idea about the complexities of the
one way system and spreadign pedestrianisation of the centre of Leeds. Happily.

>From the railway station:

Turn left out of the main doors of the railway station and walk up to the corner of City Square.
Turn right along Boar Lane, and wander along there for a couple of hunderd yards, until you see
McDonalds on your left. McDonalds is on the corner of Boar Lane and Briggate. Turn left up
Briggate.
Swan Street (which as I remember is less a street than a little alleyway, but I might be wrong)
goes left off Briggate as you walk up the hill, by the side of Peel the Chemist.

If you're coming from the north of town, find the St John's shopping centre. Remember to have a
look at the sometimes excellent Jumbo Records while you're there. From St John's go into
Dortmund Square, which is a little pedestrian square with a statue of a fat fellow holding a
barrel. I like him. At the opposite end of the square from the St John's Centre is The Headrow.
Turn left down the Headrow, and take the second right into Briggate. Going down the hill, Swan
Street is a little way dowwn on your left, next (funnily enough) to Peels the Chemist.

Anyway, you don't have to take my word on it. Look at their website:

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/CityVarieties

they have included a picture of a group of people I can only assume to be Belle and Sebastian on
their front page. Doesn't Stu M look happy at the front there? And that furry fellow in the hat,
that'll be Stuart D, yes? Or perhaps he's the one in the stripes and the green hat?

Meet up pub suggestions will follow later today, from me or someone else.

I don't know about door times, but it should say on your ticket?

I hope that helps.

Tim

P.S.: 2 things for Mister Miller...
first, Echo and the Bunnymen were never the same once they *got* a proper drummer...
second, which Junior Byles best of is it? I've never heard a bad Junior B record, and can
particularly recommend his work with Scratch, Niney and with Channel One. I haven't heard the
new Blood and Fire release (partly) by him. Anything with 'Curly Locks' and 'The Long Way' on is
a sure fire smash.