Sinister: Warning: Rude word contained within...

Cassell Professional Publishing d.barker at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 3 14:02:11 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Oh god it's grim being back at work after my little trip to Glasgow. It was
nice to meet some of you there: hi to Chris and Julia and Honey and Linda
and Calum and Keith and Tim and of course the lovely Oon.

I hate to be a dissenting voice but I didn't think Monday's show was that
great. The quiet songs were amazing, particularly The Boy Done Wrong Again,
which was the best thing I've ever seen them do. But what's the point in
doing Arab Strap without the handclaps (as Honey pointed out)? Sarah and
Isobel stood giggling in the corner with their recorders - they should have
been clapping till the skin peeled off the palms of their hands. And what's
the point in playing Judy and the Dream if you don't really go for it at the
end? I guess they were all being a bit cautious... I'll shut up about it
now.

You know how on old live albums from the sixties, whenever a band plays a
good song, the crowd applauds with recognition about ten seconds into it?
They do it on Stars in their Eyes as well. I think this would be something
worth bringing back for the London show. Any takers?

Went to see Jonathan Coe do a reading last night, and I'm still faint with
excitement. The man is a god. He read an absolutely hysterical bit from the
House of Sleep, which finished with the immortal line:

- I put it to you, Doctor Myers, that your cunt is on fire.

Very funny indeed. We got to chat to him at the end, and he's just so cool!

Anyway, back to the business books. See you all on Saturday or Monday.

Love,

DAVID