Sinister: Leeds Gig Meetups

Ed Mason emason at xxx.com
Thu Sep 3 14:45:12 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Having spoken to a few people about a Leeds pre-gig meetup, the consensus
is the Whitelocks pub, which is the best nearest watering hole to the
venue.  The directions are below, courtesy of Mr Timothy Hopkins. (There's
a bit of duplication with directions for the venue posted earlier, but this
way I guess you get them all in one place...) It's about 2 minutes walk
from the City Varieties and easy to find.  I guess people will start
turning up about 5pmish. Tim, myself and a few others will be there about
6pm. The doors for the gig are at 7.30pm.

I've also sorted out a discount for post-gig clubbing shennanigans at
Brighton Beach.  The usual entrance price is £5, but people who have been
to the gig can get in for £4.  They'll have to show their gig ticket, which
I'm guessing people will still have.  It's open 11pm-4am. Again, directions
below.

If anyone wants any more info, e.g. for record shops or anything else then
feel free to mail me privately.

Oh, I'm so excited.
See you all there,
Ed
(p.s. I know a couple of people with spare tickets for the Leeds gig and
possibly for London, mail me if anyone still needs one).

For Whitelocks;
Turn left out of the railway station and walk up to the corner of City
Square. Turn right along Boar Lane, and wander along there for a couple of
hundred yards, until you see McDonalds on your left. Mcdonalds is on the
corner of Boar Lane and Briggate. Turn left up Briggate. The Whitelocks is
in an alleyway on the left as you walk up the Hill, opposite Debenhams. The
Whitelocks is the only thing in the alley. There is a sign outside the pub,
which says 'Whitelocks'.

If you're coming from the other side of town, find the St John's shopping
centre. Remember to have a look at the sometimes excellent Jumbo Records
while you're there. From St John's go into Dortmund Square, which is a
little pedestrian square with a statue of a fat fellow holdng a
barrel. at the opposite end of the square from the St John's Centre is the
Headrow. Turn left down the headrow, and take the second right into
Briggate. Going down the hill, the Whitelocks is in an alleyway on the
right, opposite Debenhams. The Whitelocks is the only thing in the
alley. There is a sign outside the pub, which says 'Whitelocks'.

Avoid a pub called 'The Ship' which is also up an alleyway on the same
street.  It's a bit rough.

To get to the venue from the Whitelocks, leave the Whitelocks and turn left
up Briggate. The City Varieties is in  a little street off Briggate called
Swan Street. It's a little way up the hill from The Whitelocks on the same
side of the road. If you get as far as The Odeon Cinema, you've gone too far.

Brighton Beach;
Brighton Beach is at the Cockpit, on 'Swinegate' 2 rooms of music, 1
indie/sixties, 1 northern soul/rare sixties etc.  To get to it from the
venue, turn out of Swan Street on to The Briggate. Turn right down the
Briggate until you come to McDonalds. Turn Right along Boar Lane and walk
along to the train station. Turn left at the road before the station and
follow the road around to the left, club is next to pub called The Rocket.
It's about 5-10 mins walk from City Varieties.