Sinister: Leeds gig location (no Leeds gig location content)

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Sep 4 10:36:16 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

>P.S.: 2 things for Mister Miller...
>first, Echo and the Bunnymen were never the same once they *got* a proper
drummer...

Excellent riposte. 100 points. Now where did I put that dodgy bootleg from
Eric's? But I'm right aren't I? Even though I'm wrong. That dead fella used
to use brushes.

>second, which Junior Byles best of is it? I've never heard a bad Junior B
record, and can
>particularly recommend his work with Scratch, Niney and with Channel One. I
haven't heard the
>new Blood and Fire release (partly) by him. Anything with 'Curly Locks' and
'The Long Way' on is
>a sure fire smash.

a N!E!W! Blood and Fire release!? My first love in the world of portly
Jamaicans. Now I dig Heartbeat and Jamaican Gold. I bought the Junior Byles
record anyway. It is on Heartbeat and does indeed contain the songs you
mention, Tim, one of them three times. I haven't listened to it yet, but it
gets an "E" from the Rough Guide, so it must be good. Also, I'm beginning to
get the hang of Bounty Killer. I think the expression I'm looking for is
"insanely catchy".

On a lighter note, Junior Byles appears to have suffered from metal illness
as well. Do you think the high level of mental illness in Jamaican music
circles is due to ganja consumption? I do. Did I say "lighter note"? I
didn't mean it.

Peel the Chemist this morning treated me to my first experience of Arab
Strap. It reminded me of The Pogues, well, the singing anyway. I really
rather liked it. He also played THE DELGADO and I was quite satisfied. It
was a little bit country. All comers were well and truly steamrollered by a
beautiful track by I Roy, however.

Ooon, are you receiving me? I got your tape package yesterday, despite
having given you half my new address and half my old address. Doh! I haven't
listened to any of it yet, but I can exclusively reveal that Winnie the Pooh
is hot news in Thailand and that Dr Paul's mystery finale is in fact Splat
saying "pish".

Peter