Sinister: B&S song names

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Fri Sep 4 17:15:28 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Though it really threw me at first, I am now totally convinced that "the
boy with the arab strap" is the absolute best name I've ever heard. I
can't explain why - it struck me as vulgar, lazy and confusing to start
with, but after a couple of days its ungainliness, contrariness and my
inability to define what the hell it was referring to both seemed to fit
in with the ethos of the band while sticking two fingers up to virtually
everyone. More than anything, it Wasn't What We Were Expecting.

Tigermilk, on the other hand, is a bit of a wussy name for an album by a
fey bunch of indie bedroom boys and girls. I always feel a bit squeamish
when, in their lyrics, B&S provide fodder for those who idly pigeonhole
them (the beginning of A Summer Wasting, say, which has taken over from
Seeing Other People as my least-liked number). But it's a very minor
complaint - no band ever has had be literally bouncing round the room
(or, on some more scary occasions, my car) simply thanks to the beauty
of the words - I've always been a music man, with the lyrics being an
added bonus if they're good. But one listen to "You made me forget my
dreams" (specially the verse about rockets), or LLPJ, or ...Sinister, or
Expectations...I could go on and on...

There you go. 275,160 seconds until B&S come on stage in Shprd's Bsh,
and I'll be breathless for every one.

My love is growing,
Biondino