Sinister: Grauniad reivew and othre stuff

Funkyseb at xxx.com Funkyseb at xxx.com
Sat Sep 5 20:58:16 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Hello :-)
sorry about sending my last sulk to the list twice, I'm just feeling a bit
moody and incompetent today.
       Anyway, I thought I'd send in this, as long as no one's already done
it:

Two bits from The Guide:

P!O!P!: Belle and Sebastian
You used to know where you were with Belle and Sebastian. The Glasgow octet
produced delicate tunes that had as much to do with the spaces between the
notes as with the notes themselves.They maintained a willful silence about
their private lives, refused to be interviewed and disingenuously claimed to
be uninfluenced by the music business. Interesting, then, to read what amounts
to a legal notice on the back of their new album, The Boy with the Arab Strap:
''Belle Et Sebastien is a novel by Madame Cecile Aubry about a boy, Sebastien,
and his Pyrrennees mountain dog, Belle. Although it is little to do with the
eight of us playing music, that is where the name came from. We are grateful
to Mme Aubry for letting us use the name until now.''
On the album itself are tracks like Seymour Stain, a paean to to the head of a
New York record company, and Chickfactor, a ditty about the joys of touring
America. Is it all going weird for Belle and Sebastian, or will this show be
reassuringly small and quirky?
Theres another bit, but it says pretty much the same thing, 'blah blah pretty,
blah blah willful....go and see.'

I'm fascinated by this disclaimer though-I don't remember seeing it posted
before. I remember the discussion though, but I thought it was a silly rumour.
'until now..', doeas this mean a name change is inevitable? I still say stuff
the old bag, but I suppose they have to be tactful. Nice combination of
grovelling and insolence though.

Incidentally, I was wandering around Wigmore St today, looking for support
tights and feeling pretty fed up, when I turn a corner and WOW! I'm confronted
with a huge poster for The Boy with the Arab Strap. I just stood there,
pointing at it, and grinning like mad!I was tempted to peel it off the wall,
'cause it was still damp, but then no-one else would get to see it, so I
didn't. I like the title now, it looks...right. And like Mark said, it's got
the right tone, Innocence and smuttyness. Marvellous.
The best bit about the poster is the fact that it doesn't have B&S' name on
it. At all. Anywhere. Now that's willful :-)

Incidentally, d'you know what they call us on the Chemikal Underground list?
>>'the cardie wearing biscuit nibbling belle & sebastian list'

disgraceful!

seb, still after a flat.and a job.