Sinister: Nottingham Blues

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Sun Sep 6 14:45:21 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

jon g. wrote:
> It was way too hot and we were all packed in and we couldn't breath

it was way too hot, and if, like me, you get uptight in crowds, well it
wasn't fun.

> Belle & Sebastian were *wicked*.

they played well, but you couldn't hear them. the band really seem to be
in a tough situation: they either turn the volume up and risk losing
their non-rock chamber orchestra feel, or they decide 'bugger the fans'
and refuse to play any venue that is either too big or is not seated, or
at least lovely to be in kind of deal. Does anyone understand what i'm
saying? i guess it comes down to: the really 'dedicated' fans would have
got their shit together and got tickets for a venue half the size and
all the hangers on who probably just went cos it was meant to be 'hip'
or something (i dunno, i'm making this up as i go) would have been left
out in the cold, and that's just fine. i couldn't go too far forward cos
like i say i really hate big crushy crowds, and always have, and if i'd
been down with the kids i'd have had panic attacks and not enjoyed
myself, but, um, where i was at the back all i could hear were the loud
obnoxious voices of twatty boys (mostly) who just didn't seem to be
interested in anything except drinking beer and eyeing up the women.
God, i hate people...

> Elliot Smith was OK.

elliot smith was very dull. i love his records, but in that space it
made no sense... and i don't think that's JUST my preference for
intimate spaces/preformances talking.

> It was a night to remember.  I still smell of smoke.  There's a lot to be
> said for no-smoking venues.

my eyes were getting well fucked by the end of the show... i felt kind
of miserable, as anyone who tried to talk to me would concur with
wholeheartedly. Can i just say to the few listees who were there and
around Tim, um, i'm really sorry for being so rude and twatty and stuff,
but like i said, i get real uncomfortable in big crowds, and i'm not
very good meeting people unless it's in, say, a nice bar with lots of
alcohol in me. I'm a tit, i know. Special sorry's to Pam, Tag, Stephane
and Suzzanah, who as of now is my list crush :-)

> David & Katrina were really busy selling huge posters and Sinister, Arab
> Strap and Stow T-shirts and badges and ink polaroids.  I think David knew
> who I was though.

i'm sorry i didn't say hello to david and katrina, hopefully i'll see
more of everyone in the pub pre-show in London. i'll try and be nicer
then.

> I'm sure Chris Geddes was looking at me when he looked up from his
> Wurlitzer.

Chris Geddes looked at me when he was coming into the venue. Stuart D
had forgotten his pass and the door staff wanted to ID him. i tried to
say he wasn't Stuart David, I was, and this imposter had stolen all my
ideas, but Chris looked like he wouldn't have got the joke and would
probably have twatted me. Chris is hard.

Actually i didn't like Staurt moaning about people 'stealing' his ink
polaroids idea in the MM Looper thing, it sounded really weak. Like
no-one was writing flash fiction before he did, and no-one has been
writing the way he talks about either. Nothing is original, if you don't
steal ideas you don't make much progress... although you have to make
what you steal personal, but hey... I'm just feeling like moaning today.

still keeping the faith in spite of myself,
the duke

PS If ever i say i want to go see a band in a venue larger than my
living room again, re-post this message to me, okay?

--

'all of our dreams are dying of overdoses'

Tangents On-Line http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
tangent at lineone.net