Sinister: Sinister : a french boy dream

Julien Bo�ldieu grabutcho at xxx.com
Sun Sep 6 21:29:46 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Hello all of you !

I must be dreaming. I won a ticket for the London gig (+ train +
hotel) offered by B&S label on a french radio. We'll be escorted by a
girl of the label (we are 4 winners). I'm so so so happy. Can't wait
for tomorrow.

"The boy with the Arab strap" was released last wednesday in France.
My first impression was very negative -- except for "Sleep the clock
around". The production really disturbed me. I found that B&S had
eaten too much sugar and taken a little weight -- ie that the sound
was cleaner, not so fragile as in "If you're feeling sinister" or the
1997 three ep's, and that the songs were not so delicate and good. I
believed that all the magic had gone... And I was so sad....
In fact that's absolutely not the case. To me "TBWTAS" is, as we say
in french, "long en bouche". It means that I had to listen to it many
times to discover the hidden beauties of each songs. I appreciate them
more and more and I'm now totally junkie of all of them (except "A
space boy dream", which is only half a success to me).
My "personal key" to this album was to listen to it first at a low
volume and to take it as an evening album (that's what it is, I
think). I was expecting them to make us hear twelve more "Century of
fakers", but they show us that they have changed, and that's good. Now
I don't want to know if the songs reach the heights of "If you're
feeling sinister" or "3.. 6.. 9.. seconds of light" -- who cares
indeed ? B&S melodies are used to being absolutely amazing and
addictive, and they are on TBWTAS.
"Sleep the clock around" is to me the great song of the album : the
most amazing, the most exciting, the most creative, the most
thrilling, the newest song. I love listening to "The rollercoaster
ride" before sleeping, it's so nice and peaceful.
I don't know why, but TBWTAS makes me remind of the Velvet
Underground's "Loaded". Does anybody see what I mean ?
However I find that this album is less homogenic than "If you're
feeling sinister". That's right, it's a transition album. But they
show on it that they have opened many new musical ways to explore. I
hope that they will follow them -- instead of Divine Comedy, that had
opened similar roads with the wonderful "Liberation" but that has
become to me more more insignificant and uninspirated since it.
Oh, ALL APOLOGIES to B&S and to my New-Yorker brother Jonny. When I
wrote you on wednesday I was a little bit angry against B&S. In fact
the only thing that was wrong with TBWTAS was... me. I was so focused
on the sound that I had forgotten to listen to the songs and to give
attention to the melodies (I must be dumb !). You can sleep well, it's
a marvelous album. :) The point is that TBWTAS doesn't affect me as
much as "If you're feeling sinister" which has a peculiar importance
in my own history -- that's just a personal feeling. May I ask you
your address in New-York ? I'll try to send you a postcard from
London. :)

I hope you'll answer me,
kisses to everyone,
Julien.

PS 1 : Thanks to Marco. Your italian is cristal clear. Please go on
writing me in italian. I'll write you more when I'm back from London.
PS 2 : Bonjour à Aurore. Comment était le concert de Leeds ? J'espère
te lire bientôt.