No subject

Stephen_J._Wood at xxx.Wood Stephen_J._Wood at xxx.Wood
Sun Sep 6 13:26:16 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Just got up at noon (didn't quite sleep the clock around) having driven 140
miles home last night after Nottingham.

A few thoughts on the gigs

On the upside, they were brilliant! B&S have finally got their live set
together! No awkward ten minute gaps between songs! BRILLIANT sound quality
from the PA! you could even hear the words in the quietist bits!

On the downside, only an hour set each night, and no encores despite
audiences stomping away for five minutes after the set.

They've obviously taken to heart criticisms of their gigs up to Manchester
last year, (not like them to take any notice of what people say, hope they
don't make a habit of it!), and been rehearsing lots!  Even their PA guy(s)!

Leeds was a small intimate (and very hot) music hall, everyone (well nearly
everyone...) was seated, and their very quiet sound was perfect. When one
rebel shockingly stood up at the front and (sort of) danced, despite having a
nasty telling off from a security person, Stuart cleverly changed the words
of whatever song he was singing to say that the guy was "an anarchist, but he
still ended up looking dumb".

Nottingham was a big open barn of a place (and very hot). The PA was louder
than at Leeds, though because of the size of the place people further back
couldn't hear, and were shouting for the band to turn up. It was so hot on
stage, they had to turn the lighting down, and one of the band (male!)
suggested that all the girls should take off their tops.

They seemed to play entirely different sets on the two nights, I didn't spot
a single duplication between Leeds and Nottingham. Perhaps some nice person
will mail the setlists to the list! And if anyone taped the show/s I'd love
to hear from you!

If they extend that policy to London, the set will be pretty short!

I didn't spot any new songs, except what sounded like (maybe) a cover version
sung by Ms Cellist in French. Anyone know if they've played that before?

Quite a contrast to the shows a year ago, when they seemed to play half the
set of new and unrecorded songs. Maybe they figure that it's too risky to
play completely new things if they've not rehearsed them. (shame!).  Maybe
they haven't any new songs. (Hope not). Maybe they think the audience wants
to hear the old favourites! (we do as well!). Maybe they want to plug the new
LP (We'd buy it anyway!).

Anyway, after we spent a summer waiting (almost a quote!) it was good to see
they continue to be excellent!

Cheers!

Rocker,

rocker at andyclin.exnet.com