Sinister: directions abound and other stuff

Suzanne Schroeder suzsch at xxx.net
Mon Sep 7 05:51:38 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

> Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 16:05:25 -0500
> From: Travis Hibbs <cranbeau at xxx.edu>
> Subject: Sinister: Sandra & all, directions to Chicago
>
>       *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*
>
> Hey Sandra and everyone thinking about going to the chicago show,
>     There's a really great map site at http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py
> Enter in the Metro's address into the address field onscreen:
>     3730 North Clark
>     Chicago, IL 60613
> The net will give you a map of the address and the surrounding area.
> Under the map is button that says "Driving Directions."  Press that
> button and a screen will come up where you can enter *your* address and
> then make a map from your house to the Metro!  Print it out, it is
> sooooo useful.
>     When I went to Chicago last spring, I didn't buy a map till I got to
> the city.  The "Map IT" page gave me accurate directions all the way
> from Norman, Oklahoma.  I would definitely tell you to get a map of
> downtown Chicago, though.

Yes, escaping from Oklahoma is a wise choice.  I presume you didn't
actually return.

maps are ok, but do a search under the reference section in yahoo and they
give all sorts of other services that provide the same.  I know I'm a
dunce, but the actual yahoo map site didn;'t sit well with me because it
needed exact addresses and wouldn't give me a map.  However, these sites
are great 'coz I have no sense of direction, didn't have a map on me and
was still able to make my way from boston to lowell once even when I made
the mistake of packing the directions in the same part of my bag that a
bottle of shampoo was in leaking all over the place smearing my lettering
and gagging me with the smell of pantene the whole trip.  I got there which
is a shock, and if I can use it, almost anyone can.

Anyway, as far as the song title debate:  I really thought they were
joking.  True, they had songs in the past taken from movies, but to
actually name an album like that with the name of a very current band is
sort of strange.  Most people like to be snobs and only reference obscure
films or their favorite band that they grew up with.  Since I'm an innocent
and don't know what an arab strap is, it sounds like whips and chains to me
which is cool.  We can live, although this really tries to make the world
sit up and take notice saying "hey, we're not a band about girls in
sleeping bags and flowers and that other stuff.  We are seamy love
machines!"  Although getting down and dirty with xylaphones and flutes is
hard.  Believe me, I've tried.  Men get bored and leave.  Or maybe it's to
help all the  people who say "Arab Strap" with a straight face actually
find out what it means.  We can go on all night with this.  the point is:
I don't know.  All that counts is the music in my book.  Ick.  that sounds
so cliche.  I wish I could end with a more inspiring word than that.  Oh
well.

s.s.