Sinister: One boys opinion of the gigs so far...

Stephen Landamore stephenl at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 7 10:51:27 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Greetings fellow pop!sters!

Well I've come in to work, I've an absolutely massive backlog of email
to read (mostly linux-kernel stuff :o) so I thought I'd procrastinate a
little and take some time out to give my account of the two gigs so far
(i.e. Leeds & Nottingham).

 Leeds
~~~~~~~

Set off straight from work and drove three hours solid, stopping only to
grab a pie and an A-Z of leeds...

... my goodness! On olde-worlde variety hall! what a peculiar place to
have a gig! This must be about the first time I've been to a sit-down
gig (*), how odd!

I think I arrived a few minutes into Elliott Smith's set... hmm, this
guy's pretty good. So good in fact that I bought his album on Saturday,
along with the new B&S album. For those not familiar, it was one man and
his (acoustic) guitar. Pleasant.

And the interlude! Well, *I've* never had ice cream in a gig before! I
was so impressed (or is that: hot) that I bought two! (No, I didn't
partake of the lollies at Manchester, I was too cold :-)

And then Belle & Sebastian came on... straight in with 'Simple Things' -
excellent stuff if a little quiet. Well, I have to say I didn't make a
note of the set list but I'm sure someone else will fill me in. My
memory isn't that good these days :-) Highlight for me was 'Is it wicked
not to care?'

Other highlights: the guys dancing at the front. Are you one of us?
Don't be shy, own up. Most entertaining! Especially during 'Century of
Fakers' Stuart M changed the lyrics, '... century of strippers ...' as
the guy had just taken his jacket off, followed by ' ... there was a
young boy who wanted to dance, but he ended up looking dumb ...' both to
lots of laughs. Top P!O!P! entertainment fellows, keep it up!

Quote: 'Stuart! Stuart! We want to dance!'

One thing that stood out for me, was the silence. Let me explain. During
most gigs there is a general background noise of people talking. When I
saw Mogwai earlier this year it was ruined for me by people talking.
Well I'm sure you all know and love Mogwai, their music goes from quiet
to loud with no inbetween, during the quiet bits you could hardly hear
anything due to the background noise. And the loud bits were few and far
between. But I digress.. Well, this is the FIRST gig I've EVER been to
where the audience were QUIET... maybe something to do with the fact B&S
were playing quiet-ish, maybe ... I dunno. Top notch behaviour folks! Of
course we went wild between songs :-)

Finally, buy a mug and a poster then head off home. Top night out!

 Nottingham
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmm, this was trickier to find, perhaps I should have bought an A-Z of
nottingham as well! Well, I finally made it - AND I made it in time to
see the ENTIRE Elliott Smith set!!!

The venue: what can I say?! Three words:
		Furry
		Fresian
		Doors

omigod! they killed good taste!

Overall this was as good as the day before, except that the venue was
BUSY BUSY BUSY. I HATE queueing at a bar :-( The people were too loud. I
had to move away from a group of people talking, just so I could hear
the band... Looks like several people in the audience had the same
problem, there were numerous shouts of 'we can't hear' and 'turn up the
volume' ... the band ought to have replied 'no, you be quiet' I would
have like this, but I guess it would have been taken the wrong way...

Highlights: 'The state I am in' and 'Photo Jenny'

Bought a T-shirt (David, Katrina: Hi! Good to put a face to the names,
keep up the good work! :-)

Finally hang around for a while then bugger off home (ObSurprise: my
girlfriend was awake and waiting for me when I got home. ObShame: I was
way too tired)

Hmm. Lots lots lots better than Manchester :-)

Well, no doubt other people will comment on the gigs, fill me in on the
setlists, whatever. I bet they probably already have done, I guess I'm
going to check my mail now...

Maybe see some of you in London tonight... then again, maybe not - I'm
coming down with a stinking cold, and there some things I've got to do
at home which absolutely cannot wait, unfortunately :-(

Oh yes, the new album. I picked up a copy the other day, and very good
it is too! My current (i.e. immediate) fave is 'simple things'. I'm
listening to it now, as I write...

nice work fellas!
stephen