Sinister: Bottingham News

Hopkins, Tim t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 7 11:38:47 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

The 'who was that masked man?' Duke wrote...

> they played well, but you couldn't hear them. the band really seem to be
> in a tough situation: they either turn the volume up and risk losing
> their non-rock chamber orchestra feel, or they decide 'bugger the fans'
> and refuse to play any venue that is either too big or is not seated, or
> at least lovely to be in kind of deal. Does anyone understand what i'm
> saying?

I do. I think. Unless I don't, which is possible, but I understand what I think you're saying.
 Not feeling quite as fidgety about crowds as our resident aristocrat, we (I'm talking about me
and the excellent Mr Mason, but he can tell this story for himself if he wants) decided to 'go
down the front' as they say in Sidmouth. We got about two thirds of the way forward where the
sound was wonderful as long as you faced the front. Every time I turned to make a witty
rejoinder to my companion, the sound was ruined by the echo of the drums from the back wall.
We found ourselves standing behind a bunch of people behaving as (I'm putting this as kindly as
I can) idiots who were pogoing and getting topless ad doing freaky dancing. I have no objection
to people dancing in venues intended (indeed licensed) for drinking music and dancing. However,
dancing ostentatiously and inappropriately even during quiet and slow songs seems downright rude
to me.

None of these things spoiled my enjoyment of the evening, which was full and mighty.

> where i was at the back all i could hear were the loud
> obnoxious voices of twatty boys (mostly) who just didn't seem to be
> interested in anything except drinking beer and eyeing up the women.

Though why anyone would shell out ?10 (plus booking fee) to go and drink mediocre beer at ?2.50
a pint and talk all the way through a band they obviously consider to be little more than an
irritation is way beyond me. Twatty boys, eh? I *still* blame the teachers...:-)

Andy Dean wrote:
	>um, i've just realised that duke
	>was complaining about a 500 seater venue being too large when tonight
	>they play a 2000 seater venue...

I think that the Duke was complaining about an 800 capacity standing up venue, and perhaps the
rub lies therein? Perhaps the truth is that Belle and Sebastian simply aren't suited to
traditional rock venues where the audience behave like a traditional rock crowd? Especially as
they get more popular and the venues necessarly get larger and less intimate?

I thought that the City Varieties show was utterly fantastic. The venue (which is a 500 seater)
and the sound were both beautiful and (although more of my favourite songs were played at
Nottingham) the night as a whole was fantastic.  At least, I am told that I think that. I
remember very little after the set, on account of picking up a mild (and thankfully temporary)
case of brain fever, the symptoms of which can sometimes make the sufferer appear extremely
drunk.

While on the subject of errors having been made, may I just take the opportunity to say that
possible appearance or otherwise of drunken turnips in the press over the next few weeks will
have nothing whatsoever to do with me.
As ever, it was another fellow entirely.

All for now.

Your rabid goose,

Tim