Sinister: some reference points

JJ johnj at xxx.com
Mon Sep 7 19:45:42 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Hello. Call me a spoilsport if you will but I spotted many
soundeelikees on that new Belle and Sebastian album...

1) Seymour Stein (the beginning of) sounds like Hedonism by
Skunk Anansie, sort of.

2) Dirty Dream 2 nicks itself from a song off Sinister (I think it's
the melody from the Boy Done Wrong Again in parts) plus the theme
to the old kids tv series Rupert The Bear, oh, and Yes by McAlmont
and Butler but speeded up.

It's also far and away the best song on the album isn't it kids.
Stuart sounds oddly like Nico on this one.

3) The Boy With The Arab Strap. Yes. it sounds like that Queen song,
it also is the same as 'Son Of My Father' by Chicory Tip, oh, and
also 'On A Chicory Tip' by Denim which Mad Robbie McTag played me
the other night.

4) Chickfactor is indeed a bit of Betty Blue, it's called C'est Le
Vent, Betty or something.

5) Simple Things is also an ace song, it sounds really like the Byrds
doesn't it? Nice.

I'd give the album 3/5. Where do we all think it will chart next week?
The Divine Comedy managed to get in at no.9 apparently.

Byeeeee
JJ
xx