Sinister: 'Nuff respect to...

Jonathan Wren jwg.wren at xxx.com
Tue Sep 8 01:57:54 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

I thought I'd break my four month silence to thank everyone I met
tonight for a truly excellent evening. I probably would have made it to
the Plastic People (or whatever it was called) thingy in Tottenham Court
Road but a lethal mixture of tiredness, sobriety and the fact I'd lost
the mate I'd gone to the gig with and would've got the night bus home
with took over and I jumped the last train back to Barkingside.

So it's hello to Andre, Oon, the delightful Miss Julia (and friend from
Edinburgh whose name I quite pathetically cannot remember but she was
lovely), Chris Leonard and the quite lovely Keith and many others. I
only wish I had got to meet the Duke as I was eager to find out 101
things to do in Exeter so I am prepared for my departure in a few weeks.

The gig itself was cool, though, for the most part, *far* too quiet. I
am the last person to say "whack it up to 10" (I have the tinnitus to
prove it!) but when you can't even hear bits of Century of Fakers and
you're standing about five rows back, then I think they should increase
the volume. It must have been practically inaudible at the back. They
"rocked out" a bit on DIrty Dream Number Two but then it went all quiet
again. Still lovely, though.

Highlight was the title track of the new album. Myself and two other
blokes kept the handclaps going throughout goddamit and an aching arms
time was had by, well, me. For me they've done nothing better than this
song. It is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eye. Those handclaps and
*that* recorder solo. Wow.

Can't wait `til next time.

Night, night, pop kids.

All the best,

Jon

--
SAVE XFM: LONDON'S ONLY ALTERNATIVE MUSIC
STATION HAS BEEN MUTILATED BY CAPITAL RADIO