Sinister: That's the way I like it baby! I don't wanna live forever! THE ACE OF SPADES!!

Funkyseb at xxx.com Funkyseb at xxx.com
Tue Sep 8 14:32:40 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

      Last night really was quite strange. I mean in a good way. Maybe.
The point I'm kind of trying to make is that Shepherds Bush seemed really B&S,
and totally not, all at the same time. I mean, ticket touts! Bootlegged T
shirts and posters! Perma-tanned rich bastard designer label types buying
tickets, and yet not really getting the point at all...more 'celebrities'
trying to be spotted than you'd want to imagine...it was odd. There's
something horribly unsettling about listening to Stuart's angelic voice while
crunching beer glasses underfoot, and getting pissed on from the balcony. I'm
not sure if I like this turn of events at all (though the band seemed fairly
comfortable- Stuart silencing hecklers by simply flapping his hands
dismissively and going sshhh!) I just hope that they get the venue they
deserve next time round. And the audience they deserve, too...

BUUUT..
Belle and Sebastian seem to have got through  their awkward, clumsy years at
last, and emerged as a staggeringly witty, incisive, and, goddamn it, sexy
P!O!P! machine. One of the best bands that will ever grace anyone's ears,
ever.
      And the sound levels were right, and the pauses between songs were
comfortable, they were generally in tune, and very funny.
 The only slight problem was the whole starting 45 minutes late thing. Maybe
someone with backstage passes can fill us in on the drama behind the scenes?
That was not fun at all.   Or the lack of proper ventilation. If it had been
any other band, everyone would have walked out. As it was, we just grumbled
and perspired.
      Still, I don't want to sound like a wingeing git. The album's poptastic,
the band are incredibly good live now, and I met stacks of lovely people at
the firkin (and didn't meet lots that I meant to.) And Trash...wow.
After that we walked round for a few hours, sheltering from the rain, and
sticking spare B&S flyers everywhere we thought would look nice. And remarking
upon the uncanny resemblence between Motorhead and B&S.
I really must sleep now
seb

BTW, Northy, you must have met at least 2 list people; 'cause I was handing
out the ..strap flyers on the door. No, not the one with the tank top, nor the
one with the nasty facial hair. I was the one humming happy tunes.
<sigh> It's all over now.