Sinister: Leeds gig

hb1ugs at xxx.uk hb1ugs at xxx.uk
Tue Sep 8 16:32:37 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Just a few words about the Leeds concert.....

Well the long good Friday finally arrived and duly started in the
Whitelocks pub in Leeds, where a hardy contingent of listees had
gathered for a pre match snifter or two.  There was a good mix of
familiar faces and people making their first visit...the atmosphere
was relaxed and holiday-like, as indeed many peole were using up their
well earned holidays to follow the band around. Keith was his usual
suave, sophisticated self, the undisputed Des Lynham of the B&S
world...honestly, smooth as a cashmere codpiece...Twas also nice to
say hi to Tim "Fucker" Hopkins and Nick Dastoor in person for the
first time.

Well we made the short journey to the venue, a theatre with proper
stalls and everything, very olde worlde music hall stylee and no
mistake.  Luckily, David and Katrina had remembered to shut the door
on the van this time and had an excellent range of wares, which I blew
nearly a whole week's income support on...oh well, Aldi baked beans
for tea again.

The gig itself was superb, the band played wonderfully, obviously
having found the number of a decent rehearsal studio since Christmas.
They still managed to keep their intrinsic charm though, Stu M
forgetting the words to Get Me Away....for instance, and the band
members sitting charmingly on stage when their services were not
called on in certain songs. It's just that they seem to have realised
that value for money is not a dirty notion. The swapping of
instruments also worked much better due to the fact that the band
didn't have to walk a 100 yards to the other side of the stage to pick
up the triangle.  Anyway the old favourites were ace, even if they
were played without that bit of spark.  Dylan in Manchester on Sunday
sent shivers down my spine, here it was still a humdinger of a choon,
but was just a bit too, um, technical, if you get my meaning.
Beautiful Career was gorgeous, as was Is it Wicked not to Care, and
the whole performance was just spot on.

Quality gig show from the best band in the world.  It couldn't get any
better.

Oh but it did.

Afterwards, Brighton Beach in Leeds was the scene of a few listees
(moi, Keith, Tag, Tall Stu, Sarah, Julia, Chris L, Nick D and others)
being joined by Stevie, Chris and Mick for a hearty and very sweaty
stomp along to some marvellous Northern Soul.  I realise that a lot of
people on this list probably know the band quite well, but for me the
sheer pleasure of dancing like a moron next to honest to goodness
*stars* is hard to beat.  Even the power failing didn't detract as it
gave me the chance to have a quick chat with Stevie, a thoroughly nice
bloke if ever one lived.  Oh and it's always nice to see Tag frugging
away like a good un. this man knows how to dance to Northern Soul.
Respect.

Sooooo, anyway, sorry for droning on, but if you weren't there you
missed a treat, yes you did.

Risso

PS

Thanks to Keith and Chris for the drinks, I owe you one