Sinister: Re: sinister: the kneeling bus

Funkyseb at xxx.com Funkyseb at xxx.com
Tue Sep 8 21:46:51 BST 1998

      *---*      HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINISTER BABIES    *---*

Matthew wrote:
<<despite being a Belle and Sebastian fan, still am not a fan of buses.
<They make me anxious whilst I have to wait. Riding on buses for a hobby
<would be sad indeed.>>

Aggghhh! Tell me you didn't really say that! You obvously haven't met the
right bus yet.
     Some of my happiest hours have been spent on top of buses, listening to
B&S. It's definitely the best place to listen! With your shirt sleeves rolled
up, and your blazer stuffed in your bag, on the way home from one of those
last days of the summer term when you've bugger all to do except skive off to
the park for a fag, and look through girls' white blouses. Or on a crunchy
autumn evening, when the bus clatters under the low branches, sending brown
leaves tumbling, and outside, people with ghosts in their mouths go about
their mittened business.
       Not a fan of buses! If I had my way, the next gig would be on a bus.
Stuart could  drive, of course, and his voice would carry up the driver's
little periscope to the top deck, where the band would be set up.
All except Stuart David, who'd be in the back seat, scratching  'pish' into to
melanine seat back with a set of compasses, and having a sly cigarette. I
imagine.

The best buses, needless to say, are in Glasgow. The wheezy orange ones that
growl like old dockers all the way up to Maryhill. The second best are the old
routemasters in London, with their tartan seats, worn shiny from a million
bums, their clang clang bells, and their tourist culling open platforms.
Riding on city buses is sad? Well darlin, some of us are only lucid when we're
riding buses.
love, seb

actually Paris ones are good too, they have little open air balconies at the
back for us smokers to lean on and look dead hard in the winter. But they're
vertically challenged, to the tune of one deck, as I believe most foreign
buses are. Tsk.